Epiphone ES335 Pro - upgrades?

markslade07markslade07 Frets: 852
edited June 2020 in Guitar
Hey guys, I recently picked up a new Epi ES335 Pro and while it plays quite nicely, I think there are bits that could well be upgraded to make it sound a bit better and be ready for gigging (if we ever get back to it!).

So...where to start? The nut is definitely going to be up for the chop as this one seems very plasitcky...bone? Then I wonder about the bridge and tailpiece (Faber? Others?), but which ones/ how much should I spend here? Then after this I reckon maybe electrics and pickups down the line? Any recommendations?

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, just make a good quality and good sounding guitar. It definitely feels like it needs a bit of 'livening up' if that makes sense? Anyone done similar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve got an Epi 335 Dot. Popped a set of unpotted fletcher paradise into it. It’s made the guitar.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1736
    I had an Epi Dot SE block  and changed everything except the wood .Fitted Gotoh bridge and stop tail ,new tuners ,and Tonerider Rocksongs and did a fret level .Was much better and didnt cost that much . I did it a bit at a time keeping the same strings ,stop tail first ,new strings ,then bridge etc.Every part made a difference in depth and feel and tone .
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 852
    edited June 2020
    I’ve got an Epi 335 Dot. Popped a set of unpotted fletcher paradise into it. It’s made the guitar.
    Nice one, I’ll check them out. No other electronics upgrades then?

rossi said:
    I had an Epi Dot SE block  and changed everything except the wood .Fitted Gotoh bridge and stop tail ,new tuners ,and Tonerider Rocksongs and did a fret level .Was much better and didnt cost that much . I did it a bit at a time keeping the same strings ,stop tail first ,new strings ,then bridge etc.Every part made a difference in depth and feel and tone .
    I’m led to believe just changing the bridge and tailpiece makes a sizeable difference, especially with aluminium. Did you find that?
  • I’ve got an Epi 335 Dot. Popped a set of unpotted fletcher paradise into it. It’s made the guitar.
    No. As I see it a pot is a pot. It’s either working or it’s not. Likewise the switch and jack. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    Take the pickup covers off before you spend any money. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5222
    Or just chop it in and get a Gibson?  ;)

Only kidding!  :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    I’ve got an Epi 335 Dot. Popped a set of unpotted fletcher paradise into it. It’s made the guitar.
    No. As I see it a pot is a pot. It’s either working or it’s not. Likewise the switch and jack. 
    Yep, fair point re the pots. So far the jack and switch seem ok, but I know a lot of people do like to swap these out, but I'm in no rush.

p90fool said:
    I did consider that, but I'm really shallow and like the look of covered humbuckers! Maybe I'll give it a try fist and see what happens.
    Or just chop it in and get a Gibson?  ;)

Only kidding!  :)
    One day, one day!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    Yep, fair point re the pots. So far the jack and switch seem ok, but I know a lot of people do like to swap these out, but I'm in no rush.

p90fool said:
    I did consider that, but I'm really shallow and like the look of covered humbuckers! Maybe I'll give it a try fist and see what happens.
    The point is, if you like the sound with them removed (if they're the usual chromed brass Epi covers which kill the top end) you can replace them with proper nickel silver ones which are more sonically transparent. 

I usually get them from @Alegree , his are excellent. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7215
    Same question too but for the 2020 Epiphone '61 SG.

New pickups and harness definitely, but no what idea what is an upgrade that fits for the hardware. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 699
    I'll just chime in to say I thought the Probuckers (is that what they're called?) on the one I had a few years back sounded great, glad you didn't list those as the first thing you'd change.
    p90fool said:

p90fool said:
    The point is, if you like the sound with them removed (if they're the usual chromed brass Epi covers which kill the top end) you can replace them with proper nickel silver ones which are more sonically transparent. 

I usually get them from @Alegree , his are excellent. 
    Ah, sorry, with you now! I'll give it a try and see what I think, I suspect you may well be on to something....
    I'll just chime in to say I thought the Probuckers (is that what they're called?) on the one I had a few years back sounded great, glad you didn't list those as the first thing you'd change.
    Just had a look at the specs as I wasn't actually sure what pickups they were...they are listed as 'Alnico Classic™ PRO humbuckers with Alnico-V magnets'
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7215

I'm hating them clean but just got a Box of Rock and they sing with those. 

Still going to be swapped for some OX4s though!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.