NGD - My first Mustang

freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1247
edited June 2020 in Guitar
Squier Classic Vibe Mustang in Sonic Blue. I've actually had it for a week or so but it's taken me that long to get to grips with setting up the bridge and vibrato. Never had a short scale guitar before but it doesn't really feel short. The lack of body contours makes it feel quite unlike my JM Jazzmaster which I wasn't expecting. I think the sonic blue finish looks really cool and the maple neck has a dark tint to it that is very nice. Indian Laurel fretboard was a bit dry looking but a drop of lemon oil has sorted that. When I bought it I envisaged upgrading everything but, having lived with it for a week, I think the pickups sound pretty good. I think I will upgrade the wiring, pots etc and redo the switching so it's 3 way on one slider and a both in series option on the other. I found lots of valuable setup tips on here and on the web. I've restrung it with 10s (it came with 9s). I thought about 11s, which seems to be the conventional wisdom, but I couldn't go through with it! I've raised the bar and lowered the bridge and managed to get the vibrato posts standing perpendicular to the plate. The action is OK without a shim (unless it's already got one) and it plays very well. I'm very happy with it so far.

imageimageimage
Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Looks good man. 

Every time I see these on retailers websites the body looks super narrow in the waist, or its photographed at an angle, but here a picture of it in the real world looks better! 

Cool colour too.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1247
    skunkwerx said:
    Looks good man. 

Every time I see these on retailers websites the body looks super narrow in the waist, or its photographed at an angle, but here a picture of it in the real world looks better! 

Cool colour too.
    The waist is 22cm across. My Tele is 23cm. I think the longer offset shaped body makes it look slimmer. 
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25028

I've never been all that interested in Fenders outside of the Strat and Tele, but I do like the look of Mustangs (and Duo-Sonics) and this one looks great.

I'm not very big so the fact they're small guitars appeals to me.  Not sure about the 24" scale but I had a Squier Super-Sonic and I don't remember that feeling particularly weird.  One day I'll put one together, probably from Warmoth parts as they have body contouring and a hardtail option.

• handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1009
    Looks great mate. Can’t wait to come and try it out. 
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1201
    edited June 2020
    I really want an old beat up Mustang. People love vintage Tele's and Strats but there's something way cooler about old real-life-reliced offsets.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.