Help needed with my new electric guitar buzzing

What's Hot
Ohhenry97Ohhenry97 Frets: 0
edited April 2021 in Guitar
Hey guys I am having a big problem with my new electric guitar. I bought it a month ago and due to the covid situation I couldn't get any amp for it that time as I work in essential service so had to be away from guitar for long time.
Now I have come back to my house and picked this guitar and noticed that there is ALOT of buzzing at first fret in particular. It's not even buzz and alot of dead note as well.
Sonneries guitar: https://sonneriesgratuite.com/guitare/

Is it due to action being too low? I am worried as it is expensive for me. A little minute amount of dead note is also present on 2,3, fret also though after that there is not much of it.
Please help. Do you guys need some audio clip etc also for better clarification or this description is fine?
sonneries nokia
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    edited June 2020
    You may find that due to the hot weather you need to give the truss rod a tweak. Necks move around a bit when temperatures/humidity changes, so if the action was fine before then I would suggest you think about adjusting the truss before the action. The action can't change on its own. 

There are lots of videos on youtube that can help with this. And don't be afraid, just go easy and only adjust small turns each time. 

Alternatively, buy a Katana and have every note buzz. @ICBM ;-)
  • Sight down you neck from the headstock, how much relief do you have? is the neck convex or concave?   You probably need a little truss rod tweak. What Guitar is it ?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8145
    Lefty loosely, righty tighty. Max 1/4 turn. Best to do tiny adjustments. Let it settle for 10 mins, then tweak again if necessary 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Hi,

Does it improve further up the neck? If yes, then it could be the relief of the neck (too much or too little). I think the buzzing would gradually reduce/improve as you move up the neck if that’s the case. If it’s very pronounced on 1-3, then disappears after, it could be a high fret in the first half of the neck. 

Did you buy the guitar new, was it online, and what guitar is it?

• Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    edited June 2020
    I had a similar problem after getting my nut replaced. After a few weeks of playing suddenly the G string started buzzing on the first fret. The first thing I'm planning on doing is changing that string as it could have bent slightly from and over zealous bend...thoughts would be appreciated! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73061
    edited June 2020
    Ohhenry97 said:
    Hey guys I am having a big problem with my new electric guitar. I bought it a month ago and due to the covid situation I couldn't get any amp for it that time as I work in essential service so had to be away from guitar for long time.
    Now I have come back to my house and picked this guitar and noticed that there is ALOT of buzzing at first fret in particular. It's not even buzz and alot of dead note as well.

Is it due to action being too low? I am worried as it is expensive for me. A little minute amount of dead note is also present on 2,3, fret also though after that there is not much of it.
    Please help. Do you guys need some audio clip etc also for better clarification or this description is fine?
    It sounds very much like the neck has far too little relief, or possibly even a slight back-bow. It should be possible to fix it by adjusting the truss rod, which contrary to some popular belief is an easy thing to do yourself.

The only real difficulty will be if it’s a vintage Fender-type guitar with the adjuster hidden at the heel end of a bolt-on neck. (Some acoustics also have very awkward access via the soundhole, with the adjuster behind a brace.)

First check the relief - hold the guitar in the normal playing position and fret the G string using both hands, at the 1st fret and the 17th or whichever is the first that’s over the body. Look at the gap between the string and the frets around the 7th-8th frets - it should be about, or just less than, half the string diameter. My guess is that there won’t be a gap at all on yours.

Rich210 said:
    I had a similar problem after getting my nut replaced. After a few weeks of playing suddenly the G string started buzzing on the first fret. The first thing I'm planning on doing is changing that string as it could have bent slightly from and over zealous bend...thoughts would be appreciated! 
    It’s the first thing to try. If it’s not that, either the nut has cracked at the slot, it was oddly shaped at the bottom of the groove and has worn to the right shape (but wrong height), or the first fret has lifted slightly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Thanks Mr @ICBM ;