NGD problematic B string.

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
edited June 2020 in Guitar
What should be a HNGD is marred by that pesky little B string popping out of the nut groove on every bend making a double plinking sound when released. I know it’s the nut groove being too shallow but it’s a Graphtech tusq nut and don’t know the best course of action? I don’t have any small nut files so what would be the best solution please?
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    Much depends on the guitar headstock design. The nut on a tilted back headstock requires a slightly different remedy than a Fender six-in-line type with string guides.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Much depends on the guitar headstock design. The nut on a tilted back headstock requires a slightly different remedy than a Fender six-in-line type with string guides.
    Sorry I should’ve been specific, it’s Yamaha 611vfm so six in line with string trees.
    The GraphTech string guides should take care of the angle over the nut. 

What gauges are you using?

Whatever came on the guitar so I should imagine they’re 10’s
    The first things to try first are fresh strings and to clean any gunk from the nut slots.
    The first things to try first are fresh strings and to clean any gunk from the nut slots.
    Thank you for your advice.

Are there any recommendations for nut files please? I’m just thinking I’ve got nine guitars and zero nut files to sort any niggling problems out myself and should really.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73060
    Check the nut height first - fret the string at the third fret and look at the gap between the string and the first fret - if it’s more than about half the diameter of the string you can just deepen the groove. If it’s less or there is no gap, you probably need a new nut, or to remove it and shim it from underneath to raise it.

You can make a simple nut file by getting a junior hacksaw blade, snap it in half, hammer the teeth flat against a hard surface, and draw it backwards through folded wet&dry paper to round it off. It won’t be precise, but it will work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    edited June 2020
    zepp76 said:

Pretty sure my 611 came with 9 to 42.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    zepp76 said:

Pretty sure my 611 came with 9 to 42.
    @HAL9000 They could possibly be, the strings seem very easy to bend. 

On closer inspection the string doesn’t plink when bending down towards the high E. when I bend up it seems to catch on a small ridge in the nut slot and then it Pings off of it causing the plinking sound.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73060
    zepp76 said:

On closer inspection the string doesn’t plink when bending down towards the high E. when I bend up it seems to catch on a small ridge in the nut slot and then it Pings off of it causing the plinking sound.
    In that case, try carefully scraping the bottom of the nut slot with a knife blade - side to side in a sort of 'ice cream scoop' motion, if that makes sense! If you can just remove the ridge it should be fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:

In that case, try carefully scraping the bottom of the nut slot with a knife blade - side to side in a sort of 'ice cream scoop' motion, if that makes sense! If you can just remove the ridge it should be fine.
    @ICBM Sorted! Thank you so much, one scrape with my pipe knife and a little triangular length of tusq popped out and now it’s perfect. I’m a happy man now as it put a bit of a downer on my NGD. 
    I’ve got to say this is one nice guitar for the price, the rosewood fretboard is as smooth as glass it’s like a maple board, I’m happy now, thanks everyone!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    edited June 2020
    Strangely, I had a similar issue on a Pacifica 311H but on the high E. As I recall it also had a Graphtech nut...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/64631/

How are you finding guitar now that you’ve sorted the nut @zepp76 ?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    Strangely, I had a similar issue on a Pacifica 311H but on the high E. As I recall it also had a Graphtech nut...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/64631/

How are you finding guitar now that you’ve sorted the nut @zepp76 ?
    @HAL9000 I’ve just read your thread, it’s strange isn’t it as that’s exactly what mine had. I scraped the ridge out and it has been fine since.

I know I’m still in the honeymoon period but I honestly can’t put it down! Every time I walk past it I have to pick it up and have a little play, I just can’t get over how nice the fretboard is, it’s the nicest one on any guitar I’ve owned. The build quality for the price is phenomenal and also the specs are top notch. The pickups are superb, not too hot but still love being driven. I wanted something that would go from blues to NWOBHM and this does it perfectly! It really does inspire me to play, I can’t remember who’s post inspired me to look at these guitars but I owe them a huge thanks.

Well that was all a bit gushy, time to stop now!