have you disliked a certain type of guitar,but then changed your mind when you actually played one?

What's Hot
racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
personally i haven't yet (don't get the chance to play many guitars tbh) but am interested in your experiences of a guitar that changed you mind about that model.

i absolutely hate prs for instance,but could just about manage to try one out if someone was willing to lend me one on long term loan ;-p 
i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Hated teles when I was younger I thought they were the most boring planks I'd ever seen.
    We were recording a demo when I was 19 and the switch on my strat kept cutting out so the owner handed me a tele to use instead. God it was good I absolutely loved it and really regretted having to give it back. Anytime we booked that studio I always asked if I could use it when I wanted single coils. I'd used it on quite a few recordings before I found out it was a vintage model from 54.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    Les Pauls. Specifically Standard (Trads) with stock Gibson pickups. Thought the fret access would be problematic for me, the lack of forearm contour would be uncomfortable, and that the pickups would need changing. Nope... my LP is still stock 3 years on and I still love it.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32376
    Les Pauls for me too. I never liked the sound or the look of them until I tried a friend's two years ago. I bought one immediately and haven't played anything else since.

Strangely, I still don't like the sound anyone else gets out of them, they just work perfectly for me.
  • WolftoneWolftone Frets: 85
    Yeah, Gibson SG's. I bought a US Standard in cherry and it played beautifully and against all my previous misplaced perceptions. traded it for an US ASAT which was also a great guitar.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Ibanez with wizard necks. I was always put off by the idea that they were thin and wide and not comfortable for my thumb over technique. In fact they are very good indeed. Different than my usually Strat C shape 9.5 norm but still very comfy.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    PRSs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dimebag razorback guitars

Look daft, but they balance great on a strap and play great.

I'm not going to buy one, though.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Not really. I did love LP's until I tried one, though..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Actually both Les Pauls and Teles.

I never wanted an LP. Can't remember what changed my mind on that one. I always just wanted a Strat, because they were the 'classic' looking electric guitar body. 

Then with Teles yeah just played one and really liked it and that was it!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Dean ML.  Very comfortable with lovely chunky neck.  I've even grown to love the retro kitsch '70s styling
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908

After many years playing only Rickenbackers I wasn't keen on Strats, Teles or SGs however when I actually played one of each it was a different story!

These days I own one of each - with the Strat being my main "go to" guitar.

In comparison to either the Strat, Tele or SG the Rickys aren't as comfortable or easy to play.

We are all Chameleons...
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    Strats.

Never wanted one, reminded me of Argos guitars. Then I went to buy a Tele and tried a 50s Classic Player having seen the review in Guitarist. Bought that instead.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    No - I still hate BASS....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Strats - I can imagine how far out and modern they looked when they were introduced but I've never liked them when I was youngster - typical rebellion - they were everywhere so I hated them. Recently though, I finally came to terms with the fact that I was wrong - great guitars.

I've never played a PRS. Don't think I ever will - just in case I liked it. I couldn't live with myself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    TonyR said:

After many years playing only Rickenbackers I wasn't keen on Strats, Teles or SGs however when I actually played one of each it was a different story!

These days I own one of each - with the Strat being my main "go to" guitar.

In comparison to either the Strat, Tele or SG the Rickys aren't as comfortable or easy to play.

You are Pete Townshend and I claim my £5.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 277
    Musicman EVH - hated the feel of it based on 2 minutes exposure. Neck felt incredibly narrow. 

Played one at length several years later and love it; one of the best playing guitars ever. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    Telecasters :))

Actually I kind of try not to try guitars I haven't tried as I pretty much know it'll give me GAS. Once I try a thing I normally like it. :))
  • I was a fender man for years until I came across a ridiculously cheap Gibson ES125 and thought I might as well have a go. Fell in love straight away...
    Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Strats.
    They were just too ubiquitous for me and I thought I was being a clever so and so by playing alternative guitars.

Then I decided to sell a few guitars to make space at home, so worked out what I wanted, realised a Strat could be the answer, tried one and realised it was right for me.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Jaguars.. Always thought they were for girls or for short armed geezers compared to the real thing (a Jazzmaster, obv.)

However, now I'm old and infirm and my arms are clearly shrinking, I can just about put up with them.

They always looked cool mind