Whats it worth? Hofner Congress

What's Hot
PennPenn Frets: 668
edited June 2020 in Guitar
I was after a bit of advice.  I have this old Hofner Congress.

When I got it it was refinished. I haven't a clue what it's finished in other than it's clear. As you can see the veneer has been sanded through in a couple of spots.

The headstock veneer had split into several pieces so I made one up from ABS plastic, glued it on and put a vinyl logo on it, then sprayed it with some clear lacquer. I think it's passable. It's got Grovers on it and an old hard case. I'm not sure of the brand, it looks a bit like a Hiscox to me but I don't know a lot about these things. Anyway what I'm wondering is what you think it's worth?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ukk5kgSi27CsX5vn9

Any thoughts are appreciated. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    The last two on ebay went for £167 and £200, the latter in original case, So I'd put yours at around £100-£130ish considering the repair, not that its done badly just that collectors get in a bit of a flap over that stuff. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73061
    Sadly I think jonnyburgo is right - I would maybe go up to about £150, but not really any more. It has next to no value as a ‘vintage’ guitar now, since so little of it is original - although in fact, the tailpiece may be worth selling separately, since it appears to be undamaged... they quite often suffer bent or broken ‘fingers’. It would be a shame in some ways but you would probably get more in total if you put a cheap replacement on the guitar.

The case isn’t a Hiscox - I remember them with that distinctive ridge down the middle, but I can’t remember the brand name.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16965
    I would split the case, as well as tailpiece.   

I think the guitar will still sell for a similar amount whether it's unstrung with no tailpiece no case, strung with a new tailpiece no case, or as is with everything together.    May as well split and get a bit extra 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    I would split the case, as well as tailpiece.   

I think the guitar will still sell for a similar amount whether it's unstrung with no tailpiece no case, strung with a new tailpiece no case, or as is with everything together.    May as well split and get a bit extra 
    I think you're right. To be honest, if you were doing that I'd take the tuners off and sell those separately too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PennPenn Frets: 668
    God that’s sad isn’t it! Well maybe that’s what I’ll do. I’d keep it but it never gets played. It just sits in the case. I’d hoped you say a bit more. 

Also @jonnyburgo its not an expert repair but it was the best I could do with what I had. It’s not perfect but then if it had been it would have looked out of place on the poor old thing. 
    Penn said:
    God that’s sad isn’t it! Well maybe that’s what I’ll do. I’d keep it but it never gets played. It just sits in the case. I’d hoped you say a bit more. 

Also @jonnyburgo its not an expert repair but it was the best I could do with what I had. It’s not perfect but then if it had been it would have looked out of place on the poor old thing. 
    It seems a shame given the care you've spent on it, but it's an unfortunate reality of the guitar market. As Wez says you'll probably get as much for the stripped shell of it from someone looking for a project, as for the complete playable guitar.

The tailpiece is definitely likely to attract the most buyers on its own.

• PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    Wow, that looks lovely
  • PennPenn Frets: 668
    Pabcrane said:
    Wow, that looks lovely
    Thanks mate. If I was worth more I’d be thinking about selling it but for what the other members have said it’s worth I’m thinking I’ll keep hold of it. My brother gave it to me a few years ago as a present so I feel mean selling for so little. I think he probably paid more for it.