Kotzen tele alternatives

What's Hot
KvaksalverKvaksalver Frets: 17
I find myself wanting to own a Telecaster. More specifically the Kotzen variety or something close to - and for financial reasons it has to be something cheaper than the real thing. I also don't care much about the gold hardware, so...

What are my options if I'd like to have a Tele with a maple fretboard, 12" (ish) radius neck and preferably 22 frets? It doesn't have to say Fender on the headstock either...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Kent747Kent747 Frets: 262
    I have a G&L ASAT Classic coming in with a 12” radius in maple. 22 frets as well. 12” isn’t standard but can be ordered. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    Pre-owned Levinson Blade, perhaps?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    Is the “beef” of the neck profile important ? 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas Style 2
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I was gonna say if you want the beefy neck. Perhaps buy a used Mex vintage Tele and add a humbucker at the bridge and have it refretted with jumbo fretwire. 
  • KvaksalverKvaksalver Frets: 17
    I'd like to have the beefy neck. I'm actually comfortable on pretty much anything, as long as it doesn't get too thin. Looking at the Asats now. The Charvel isn't a bad suggestion, but it just might be too little "Tele" to scratch the itch... 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    Roll your own. 
    Loobs said:
    Roll your own. 
    Yeah, I considered that too. Should be able to get pretty close. MIM Tele, aftermarket neck, Dimarzio bridge PU...
  • RedFalconRedFalcon Frets: 182
    edited June 2020
    I know it’s another signature. What about one of the Reverend Pete Anderson eastsider t. 

Roasted maple neck - compound radius 10 to 14 
    22 frets 

https://www.guitar.co.uk/reverend-pete-anderson-eastsider-t-satin-deep-sea-blue-roasted-maple

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3098
    Warmoth maybe? Could probably do a basic Tele with a fat neck etc for a little under £1000
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    If you could live with a 9.5” rather than 12” you could snare a a Squier CV 60’s S/H and stick an Allparts TRO FAT neck on it along with a set of Dimarzios
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16382
    RedFalcon said:
    I know it’s another signature. What about one of the Reverend Pete Anderson eastsider t. 

22 frets 

http://https//www.guitar.co.uk/reverend-pete-anderson-eastsider-t-satin-deep-sea-blue-roasted-maple

Link not working? 

Going up in price Reverend also do the Gristlemaster: 10-14” compound board, 22 frets, fancy ass pickups. 

Aaaanndd back down in price - Cort Classic TC with compound radius, 22 frets. Also a tummy tuck like I think the Kotzen has? 

And there are various T shaped Fretkings, sometimes a used bargain to be had. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RedFalconRedFalcon Frets: 182
    RedFalcon said:

22 frets 

http://https//www.guitar.co.uk/reverend-pete-anderson-eastsider-t-satin-deep-sea-blue-roasted-maple

Link not working? 

Going up in price Reverend also do the Gristlemaster: 10-14” compound board, 22 frets, fancy ass pickups. 

Aaaanndd back down in price - Cort Classic TC with compound radius, 22 frets. Also a tummy tuck like I think the Kotzen has? 

And there are various T shaped Fretkings, sometimes a used bargain to be had. 

Fixed 

Those Corts are a bit more Manson Mattocaster than Telecaster. 

Just came across PureSalem guitars. They have a t-type too 
    The Reverend is nice and has a lot of cool features.

But I think I’ll get something used, change the neck for a Warmoth or the like and drop a Chopper T in the bridge...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    Oh yeah: Locking tuners, hi pass filter and a coil tap too...
  • Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
    Schecter PT special! Extra jumbo frets, bigger neck than ibanez or squiers, bevel cut, serial/parallel switch, three compensated tele saddles.

However, the placement of the switch is a bit odd and it has a P-90 for the neck pickup. Overall, not an exact Kotzen's but close.

I have one and it is a fantastic instrument..great built quality too..from S.Korea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Joe123 said:
    Schecter PT special! Extra jumbo frets, bigger neck than ibanez or squiers, bevel cut, serial/parallel switch, three compensated tele saddles.

However, the placement of the switch is a bit odd and it has a P-90 for the neck pickup. Overall, not an exact Kotzen's but close.

I have one and it is a fantastic instrument..great built quality too..from S.Korea.
    The Schecter is really close to what I'm looking for! And the P90 is just an added bonus, it's one of my favourite pickups in the neck position. Should go well with a Chopper T in the bridge...

I've looked at pics and videos for the last half hour and the fretwork looks exceptionally clean - how's the real life, store bought version?