New(ish) guitar day..

What's Hot
BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
I've finally got myself a year of birth Telecaster. Partly because its nice to own a birth year guitar and partly because anything much older than late '70s is beyond my pay grade. It dawned on me when I was reading @munckee 's thread about his '79 Strat that if i wait much longer the late 70s guitars will be out of my reach too so when this popped up on eBay I made a cheeky offer and now its mine!

As you can see it's got a story or 2 to tell. The reason its a newish guitar day is because it went straight off for a re fret and new nut so I've been waiting patiently for most of lockdown to get my hands on her and she arrived back the day before I return to work! :'(
 Because the original lacquer was so heavy around the frets the neck had to have a sympathetic re finish too but the distress is all genuine. 

At some point it'd been routed for 2 humbuckers by a blind man with a blunt chisel, I could have it filled and re finished but in my opinion it adds to the story so we've just tidied up the cavity and copper taped it. (I've just noticed the D string has hopped out of its notch!)

My guess is it has seen a few gigs in its time or spent its life in a studio, if anyone recognises it i'd love to hear from you. The seller was based in Northumberland but looks like a shop so could've come from anywhere.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12583
    Congratulations, tele's really suit a bit of distress.  Are they the original pickups?  I've no desire to change the 79 pickups I really like them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rjbirrjbir Frets: 16
    That’s one cool looking guitar 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    munckee said:
    Congratulations, tele's really suit a bit of distress.  Are they the original pickups?  I've no desire to change the 79 pickups I really like them.
    Sadly not Adam. I put a pair of Fletcher pickups that I had in my other Tele in there as the ones that came with it were some cheap Chinese things. Everything else seems right though, the numbers match on neck and body plus the bridge and tuners are period. Be nice to put some late 70s pickups in there some day.
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    “Blind man with a blunt chisel” seems spot on, but it looks awesome nonetheless! Authentic wear is the best kind of wear, happy NGD.
  • JRgtarJRgtar Frets: 21
    Looks a bit Gilmour-esque, like it. How does it feel to play?
    Thanks all

JRgtar said:
    Looks a bit Gilmour-esque, like it. How does it feel to play?
    Plays great and the neck is lovely although not really had much time with it . Sounds a lot harsher than I was expecting, I'm wondering if it's the steel saddles? Could be the new stainless frets or graphite nut also i suppose?? I didn't really get to play it before it left as when i went to re string it the nut fell in half! I'll have a proper play tonight and compare it to my other Tele as I've mostly been using a Gibson with P90s so my ears may have become re tuned.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14784
    tFB Trader
    Looks cool and as you say 'it can tell a story or two'

I bet the re-fret has seriously enhanced the playability - Those mini frets under lacquer or just so 'orrible IMO

I would not suggest re-fitting with late 70's p/ups - To fierce, clangy and thin with no balls/body at least IMO - I did a conversion a few months ago for a customer with a 70's Tele and now he has Oil City Honky Tonk Angel's in it and it has seriously improved the tone

Enjoy it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    That looks absolutely awesome! The distress suits it well. 
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 452
    Congrats 

Love it, fantastic colour - near identical to the burst on a Tele @lamf68 is currently doing for me.

As a 70's baby myself what year is it?

After decades of dismissing Teles as fit for Country, Status Quo and nothing else, my eyes have been opened to them in recent years and now I wouldn't want to be without one
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    You didn't say which year! 
    @DavusPG @Loobs its a '77/78 and i'm March 78 so with Fenders numbering system its as close as I'll get, looking at the prices of anything pre '75 and they are getting silly so I sold it to the good lady as an appreciating asset! ;)