Is this something to worry about - Ibanez AZ - neck joint?

What's Hot
icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 372
A friend of mine has just bought a Ibanez AZ model with a Monkey Pod top and titanium saddles, 

But what do you think to this? Is it just the varnish? 
There is a smaller one on the other side too.

Secondhand from a remote guitar shop, he'd asked for all damage to be photoed so he could see for himself. 
The snaps they sent showed hardly anything. 

They've offered a full refund but he likes the guitar!!!

If he knew it wasn't structural he'd keep it.

He wanted a techy to take the neck off to see it, but the local guys aren't accepting work during this pandemic. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    Looks like just the varnish to me.

Is it my eyesight or are the edge of neck and the pocket out of parallel? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    The cracks are just in the lacquer it’s not the wood as it doesn’t run in the direction of the grain. That’s just my opinion though I’m bound to be wrong lol 
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 372
    edited June 2020

Is it my eyesight or are the edge of neck and the pocket out of parallel? 
    The photo was sent to me, but I think it's just the angle, otherwise my mate would have noticed. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73060
    Pure lacquer crack, nothing to worry about at all. Very common in this exact place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Very common indeed but it does lower its market value, he should at the very least ask for a partial refund.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    edited June 2020
    icu81b4 said:
    … but he likes the guitar!!! 

The usual explanations for that sort of finish crack are natural expansion and contract of the wood beneath or over-tightening of the neck anchoring plate screws.

Any guitar that is going to be regularly played at rehearsals and gigs will be exposed to the risk of damage. I see little point getting precious about it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19386
    I'm more perturbed at the frankly heinous black ring fill on the side fretmarker...  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    I'm more perturbed at the frankly heinous black ring fill on the side fretmarker...  ;)
    Haha its a Q marker that one.. 

Fretboard goes up and over the last two! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    edited June 2020
    I have same cracks on mine from new, it is just cosmetic and usually occurs when you pick up guitar by its neck and move it without supporting the body. 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • icu81b4 said:

The usual explanations for that sort of finish crack are natural expansion and contract of the wood beneath or over-tightening of the neck anchoring plate screws.

Any guitar that is going to be regularly played at rehearsals and gigs will be exposed to the risk of damage. I see little point getting precious about it.
    It's really just the tightness of neck pocket (that does benefit tone), nothing to do with usage (really, you won't see these cracks on vintage strats), but manufacturers sometimes (well, always) fail to disclose the tradeoffs taken in the design, so he'd be right to ask for a partial refund.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 372
    icu81b4 said:

It's really just the tightness of neck pocket (that does benefit tone), nothing to do with usage (really, you won't see these cracks on vintage strats), but manufacturers sometimes (well, always) fail to disclose the tradeoffs taken in the design, so he'd be right to ask for a partial refund.
    Ok I'll let him know your thoughts - Thanks everyone, He's opted to keep it. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    I’d be more worried about the build quality, looks very rough for an Ibanez
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 699
    My AZ has one , so got a decent discount
    #thebatesmotelband
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24868
    ICBM said:
    Pure lacquer crack, nothing to worry about at all. Very common in this exact place.
    This.

I've had quite a lot of Ibbys and every one of them had it.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
    edited June 2020
    Yup. One of my guitar got it too..it is my ready-to-be played guitars which is not placed in my hardcase..all others in the hardcase are fine..so, probably humidity and temp probably play a role too..I believe that is actually the reason why Ibanez changed to AANJ..but it still happened, though much more uncommon. OP, if that is new, you should ask the dealer to have a refund or return it..because,IMHO, the crack may get worse someday..
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7428
    It will have happened in the post. Any kind of knock and there's a chance it will happen with an RG. I had my hardcase leaning against a wall, it slipped and fell flat, and when I opened it this had happened. 15 years later its still fine.