Cleaning fingerboards

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I want to give my fingerboards a good clean - all either rosewood or Ebony.
Is there a good cleaner to use on all of them? Any particular oil that's worth using? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    MusicNomad F-One oil, Is what I wouldn't be without

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    I clean my Les Pauls and SG with a bit of lighter fluid to get rid of any muck, then multiple applications of F-One Oil. Let it soak in, and keep applying until it doesn't soak in anymore.

The SG I got a couple of days ago had an incredibly dry fretboard - took about 8 applications of the F-One oil before it was adequately oiled.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    After cleaning encrustations of previous owners' DNA, crud, gunge and assorted smeg off the things, I like to deploy a real live walnut or two to condition rosewood and ebony boards (and similar).  See https://www.gearnews.com/improve-your-guitar-fretboard-with-jefs-secret-walnut-trick/
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I've used a bit of spare linseed oil from the cricket bats and cut it with isopropyl. Just a very thin amount then rub the evaporated residue. Seems to do the trick. 
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1104
    I like to use naphtha/Lighter fluid as it helps to break down and lift grease after that on dark boards i'll use 100% food grade walnut oil (get a bottle from asda/tesco) just a small amount rubbed in and left sit for 20 mins or so then buffed out

Don't use anything that has acetone in it as it will lift the tannin out the wood and cause it to lighten.

• ColsCols Frets: 7297
    It all depends on how encrusted the fretboard has become.  Generally, you want to avoid using harsh methods where possible.

At the mildest level, try moistening the fretboard by breathing on it and then polishing with a paper towel or clean cloth.  This will take off any mild dirt.

If that doesn’t work, a rag dampened in warm water may shift things.  Next up is saliva; gross, I know, but the enzymes in saliva can break down crud.

Failing that, it’s on to the heavy artillery.  A single edged razor blade will remove any buildup, but you need to use gentle pressure unless you want a scalloped fretboard.  0000 steel wool used gently (first crosswise, then along the length of the fretboard) will also do the trick.

Finally, condition the fretboard with lemon oil or boiled linseed oil.  Wipe it on with a cloth, allow it to soak in for a minute or two, and then buff off.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    MikeS said:
    MusicNomad F-One oil, Is what I wouldn't be without

Not the cheapest but MusicNomad products are excellent.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Just been using Dan Erlewine's book 'How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great' - he prefers raw linseed oil and only leaves it briefly, not soaking things, and only when needed.

He is generally sceptical about lemon oils.  

Obv you wouldn't need to use much more than elbow grease and a rag or paper towel for maple boards. Anything abrasive will take away that shine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    Just been using Dan Erlewine's book 'How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great' - he prefers raw linseed oil and only leaves it briefly, not soaking things, and only when needed.

Obv you wouldn't need to use much more than elbow grease and a rag or paper towel for maple boards. Anything abrasive will take away that shine. 

Nobody on this thread has mentioned lemon oil, apart from yourself ;)

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1209
    Anything like the Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil is great on rosewood.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    oh that's a nice sequence of posts, well done everyone
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7297
    MikeS said:
    Just been using Dan Erlewine's book 'How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great' - he prefers raw linseed oil and only leaves it briefly, not soaking things, and only when needed.

Nobody on this thread has mentioned lemon oil, apart from yourself ;)

Raises hand nervously.

But for conditioning after removing the dirt, not as an actual cleaning agent.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 168
    I bought the crimson guitars fretboard cleaner and restorative:
    https://www.crimsonguitars.com/store/fretboard-cleaner-restorative/
    with these and some fret rubbers my neck cleaned up really well.
  • eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
    edited July 2022
    -
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5005
    I've got some Gerlitz Guitar Honey, works a charm.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PittsterPittster Frets: 15
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pittster said:
    Thank you. Excellent info. 
  • To clean the board I use alcohol swabs from a first aid kit. Then, when dry, Dunlop oil
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2957
    I tend to play with clean hands.  i find a light dusting once every 10-15 years is sufficient.  

• Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
    edited June 2020
     Only use 0000 steel wool in a direction of the wood grain (mostly longitudinal). Cover the pickups with plastic or masking tape (be careful, some masking tape may change the color of the pickguard, if you have any).

A bit razor blade or guitar picks may help stubborn gunk. 
    After finishing those, vacuum clean all parts of the guitar and underneath it to take away any remaining steel wool. Don't use magnets to pick up the steel wool! especially near the pickups.

And then put mineral oil, pure lemon oil (attention! Don't use the lemon pledge used for furniture!) Or you can use either any of these: Nomad's F-one oil, Planet wave lemon oil (these two are my fav) or Dunlop's ect..
    Leave it for several minutes (usually for 15-30 minutes) to let the wood "drinks" the oil , and then wipe the excess oil.. Done!

Be aware to not let the liquid goes into the neck part , it should be only on the  fingerboards..otherwise, it may darken the wood of the neck.

Don't use any of those products on maple fingerboard.