Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Uggh. A video. Was hoping for pix!

Did a 10 second skim, everything I saw looked ugly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27982
    Summary

Here are a couple of prototype guitars that Gibson decided not to make.  I'm calling them the Nighthawk II for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73061
    It looks like a copy of a cheap Schecter with an extra stupidly fragile headstock.

I liked the original Nighthawks, apart from the daft angled humbucker and the ugly bridge. If they'd done one with a trem and a maple neck I might even have bought one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27982
    ICBM said:
    It looks like a copy of a cheap Schecter with an extra stupidly fragile headstock.

I liked the original Nighthawks, apart from the daft angled humbucker and the ugly bridge. If they'd done one with a trem and a maple neck I might even have bought one.
    That daft angled humbucker is a great pickup though - love the power & sound I get from mine.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73061
    TTony said:

That daft angled humbucker is a great pickup though - love the power & sound I get from mine.
    Yes, I could have lived with it - but it would have sounded just as good if it had been a normal straight one, and the option to change it if you want something different would have been useful. Yes, I know you can swap coils, and there might even be a replacement of some sort, I can't remember... but it would be so much easier just to drop in any standard humbucker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14772
    Seymour Duncan offers ‘59 and JB humbuckers in the slanted format. Other models can be ordered specially.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    edited June 2020
    I fancied the original Nighthawk at the time. I don't believe I played one. Sid Griffen of Long Ryders had one (could have been an Epiphone) and he seemed to get a Telecaster sounding tone with it.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14784
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    ICBM said:

Kind of like a hot Tele p/up with a similar tight attack

When you look at some of the other odd ball Gibson Guitars, that flopped sales wise,  I thought the Nighthawk had more acceptability about it