Any experience with Thornbuckers?

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2388
Hi all

I have a build planned a stripped Tele with two bright clear Humbuckers.

A few months ago I trawled round a bunch of guitar shops in London trying stuff. The guitar that most impressed me was a Suhr Tele style with Thornbuckers. Exceptionally well made guitar, but what struck me most was the clarity of the pickups and how well they responded to my playing. That was a £2.5k guitar... and I wasn't buying at the time so I walked away with the idea of building something like it. I think they can be tapped too which is appealing though it's a clear, bright humbucker tone I'm focused on.

Thanks for any info :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7040
    edited June 2020
    Ive got a pair in a Suhr Alt t pro (in HH config, tapped via suhr 5 way). One in a Trohman Tele bridge not tapped. And one in a strat bridge (that’s  plus version) tapped via a S1 switch to resistor ala PRS method - I do like this method, just drop some a bit of the volume without thinning it down.

I like them!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2388
    Just looking at that Suhr Alt t pro I think that's the model or very like it.

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9715
    Ive got them in my Alt T Pro...

Best pick ups Ive heard personally, and that includes my Masterbuilt.

They are so reminiscent of the original Seth Lovers imho, and have that clarity which is hard to come by. 
    My Alt T Pro is incredibly versatile, and yet feels vintage somehow..
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9715

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3963
    Monty's PAFs are good for clarity too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3349
    I had Thornbuckers, also in a Suhr Alt T Pro. Great and versatile pickups.

If you want a little more oomph but still staying in vintage, low output territory, have a regular Thornbucker in the neck and a Thornbucker Plus in the bridge.

Also, look at Pete Thorn's Suhr Signature model which utilizes what I've mentioned and also looking at versatile switching options on his guitar. If it suits, that's a great and versatile mod.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    edited June 2020
    I have them in my Suhr Modern set neck... really nice pickups, very clear sounding, without sounding sterile.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2388
    Lebarque said:
    Monty's PAFs are good for clarity too.
    I’m sure. But I’ve not tried them and I’m keen on the thornbuckers because I’ve played and heard them. Monty are commission winds aren’t they? How would they compare price wise?
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    Had the Thornbuckers in an Alt T Pro last year - best sounding and most versatile pickup I’ve ever used. Will be getting one in the bridge of a Suhr Classic Pro in the coming weeks.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.