Squier Jag

PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
My friend and bandmate just got himself a Squier Jaguar - lovely looking thing in Sea Foam - it's a Classic Vibe. He tells me that the neck is really quite fabulous.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these. Obviously I haven't had a chance to play it yet but was wondering if these benefited from new pickups or anything? If it does I think that might be a nice Christmas present for him.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've a classic vibe Jazzmaster. The neck is very good but yeah, could do with some new pickups. I'm sure the Jag is the same. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12583
    edited June 2020
    I'll tell you tomorrow when I collect mine, although it is Vintage Modified rather than Classic Vibe.

If it's in the same ball park as my J Mascis jazzmaster I will be very impressed.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    I've had one for about a month and I like it a lot.

I also like the neck and I haven't found an issue with the tuning heads (which is usually cited as a weak point). I changed strings to 11's and that went smoothly. Ive not made up my mind about the pickups, but I can get some pretty good sounds using an HX Stomp or with a Rift Brownie, in particular with the 'save at the day' Peacemaker in line. 

Trouble is I wouldn't know a good Jaguar pickup from a Kit Kat so I would need advice from TFb, I would say that as a base for upgrades the Squier CV Jaguar is definitely worth it IMO.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 688
    The Vintage Modified Jag I had (also Surf Green) had a terrific neck, one of if not the most playable necks I've owned.

I liked the Duncan Designed pickups, pots were fine if you don't use any positions between "full volume" and "minimum volume" and it looked great.

The only thing I didn't like was that the control plates looked like they were made of a very cheap metal compared to my other Jags with less than smooth edges and a non-uniform reflection to their shine... Hard to explain but they just didn't look right.

Nonetheless, at £250 used and in mint condition it was terrific.
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited June 2020
    Ive got 4 squiers now, (will be 5 when i get the supersonic) including a Jag. 

Heavier gauge strings is nigh on essential, at least 10’s or 11’s, sometimes the necks could do with a slight shim.

A bridge change to staytrem or equivalent is an improvement, but not earth shatteringly better.

The pickups imo are very good, but depends on what you play. Mine sounded very good clean, and slight crunch, but fell underwhelming using heavy distortion and fuzz pedals. I swapped mine to some Mojos and wouldnt change them for anything else, ever.

Great guitars for the money.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    The price of Staytrem and Mastery parts will appear disproportionate to the purchase price of the Squier guitar.

Most of the advantages to these aftermarket upgrades can be achieved by changing to Mustang type bridge saddles that match the fingerboard radius and rubber tubing to fit in the “thimble” inserts.

Given the Cheepnis of the stock hardware, it might be reasonable to file string guide grooves into the saddles. This will prevent the strings popping sideways across the vintage-style “threaded” saddles. It will not prevent the infamous self-lowering saddle issue.

Pickup choices are subjective. Much depends on whether you wish to recreate the sounds of an elderly Fender or combine modern sounds with Sixties looks. For me, the bridge/Treble pickup should sound fairly nasty and wiry. (Think Surf music and Spaghetti Western soundtracks.) It is simple enough to install Rails or Li’l’bucker pickups but, then, you lose some of the unique sonic character of a Jaguar.

YMMV
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • The price of Staytrem and Mastery parts will appear disproportionate to the purchase price of the Squier guitar.
    Iirc staytrem bridges are about £60, not that bad imo, i think Staytrems i looked at were a lot more though.

I know some might not see the point in chucking ‘expensive’ gear at a squier, and admittedly none of it is absolutely necessary, but i just love a bit of a fettle.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    He's had a couple of days with it now and the only questionable thing on it is the bridge pickup. I've let him know about Creamery pickups, as well as Mojo's which were recommended here.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    Under the plastic cover, the Jaguar pickup is physically similar to any Stratocaster pickup with a parallel-sided bobbin form and its output conductors attached at each end. (e.g. Duncan Hot,  Quarter Pound and Custom models, Jackson/Charvel J-100 et cetera.) Thus, it is possible to discretely upgrade. 

If you are going to do this, I suggest that you make the change reversible. Leave both output conductors on the replacement pickup full length. Ground the “claw” screen separately. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.