Do tuners keep their tune?

ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
I've had a Seiko quartz tuner for about 25 years and used it regularly. I got the Fender tune app for i phone about 6 months ago because it gives open tuning options. When i tune with the Seiko in standard tuning and then use the Fender app it reads that the guitar is flat. Is the Seiko inaccurate because of its age or is the app out.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    Does the Seiko have a calibration routine? 
    How old is its power source?
    How does the guitar signal reach each tuner? Cable or microphone? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    No it doesn't have a calibration routine, it runs off a 9v battery and shows good battery health. It can be either cable or microphone but i usually use the microphone because i usually use an acoustic with no pick up.   
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73061
    Do you have a tuning fork? If so, tune the guitar to that and then see which tuner is correct.

My guess is that the old Seiko will be out, not the phone app. Although as far as I know the reference oscillator crystal doesn’t change in frequency, other components can drift or degrade over time and that might affect the reading.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein