Ever feel that your fretting hand just locks up?

NathantuNathantu Frets: 0
edited March 27 in Guitar

This is a weird one...

I'm half way through doing a 30-day spider exercise challenge to improve finger independence. 

Do you ever feel that you really struggle with a certain movement that should in theory be relatively easy?  guitar ringtones

There's a line in Laid to rest by Lamb of god that goes 8 7 5 4 on the D string, which I play with fingers 4 3 1 1

The bit I struggle with is going  5 4 with my 1st finger. 

Surely this is one of the easiest fretting moves on guitar lol, but I can't seem to do it at the required tempo. 

I'm not sure if it's because of tension, or if it's a mental thing. 

Have you ever had such a problem? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    Start slow. Once you have it perfect every time at a slower speed gradually increase the speed until you are perfect. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1655
    Not sure I'd use fingers 4311 unless there was a good reason to slide down. Assume it's some sort of fast, chuggy, repeating thing? Very difficult way to play that at speed.

I'd probably try and get a 4321 going if you can, although it's quite a stretch. Or drop down to the A string for the G to F#. Many ways to skin a cat on the guitar.

Like Grungebob said, nail it slow first before you move it up to speed.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 297
    I would use 4 fingers, 4321, and as others have said start slowly. If the stretch is too wide, you may need to move your hand position when moving from the 7th to the 5th fret. Using a single finger for frets 5 and 4 is likely to limit the speed that you can play the riff. It may help if you can find a video of Mark or Willie playing the riff.