PSA HERCULES Guitar Stand GS414B - Check your's now!

What's Hot
SRichSRich Frets: 764
edited June 2020 in Guitar
If you're using these, you need to check them carefully......and here's why.

I was alerted to a real problem with these after my g/f's stand collapsed. The height adjustor part (which is a rubbery substance) now feels gelatinous and very sticky and disintegrated sending her acoustic off to the floor. She called me to get me to check too........ditto problem although happily discovered before my 335 suffered a similar floor impact.......thanks to her for that.

See the pics......but do check yours - use disposable gloves (we've all got them now!).

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5333
    happened to one of mine as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2714
    This have been well documented and rectified in more recent versions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This have been well documented and rectified in more recent versions. 
    https://forum.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/index.php?topic=34025.0
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Exactly the same thing happened to one of mine. Fortunately I chucked it away before it did any damage.
    Call me Dave.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    Yup, I've experienced this on an older one too. And with a guitar stand.  ;)
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2061
    Anyway to tell how old a stand is and if it’s likely to have the defect?
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1052

It's happened to two of mine luckily when I was adjusting them both times and not when guitars were actually in them.

I thought I remembered this topic appearing before on the forum - it's discussed in this thread...

Call me Dave.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Usually replaced under warranty too if you contact Herc ...
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73060
    CMW335 said:
    As far as I know the problem was fixed some years ago so it's only pretty old ones. You'll probably know about it by now if it's going to - the plastic goes sticky long before it disintegrates, you have plenty of warning. It's just the pole grip piece and the rim of the handwheel that tightens the base that are affected.

I've repaired mine by fitting metal handwheels and a filed-down nut to fit the shape of the groove in the pole piece, so the threaded part engages with the holes. Slightly more of a faff to adjust up and down but I very rarely do that anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SRichSRich Frets: 764
    Usually replaced under warranty too if you contact Herc ...
    Possible statute of limitations here....just checked the purchase date which was 2009!........ planned obsolescence?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2061
    ICBM said:
    CMW335 said:
    As far as I know the problem was fixed some years ago so it's only pretty old ones. You'll probably know about it by now if it's going to - the plastic goes sticky long before it disintegrates, you have plenty of warning. It's just the pole grip piece and the rim of the handwheel that tightens the base that are affected.

I've repaired mine by fitting metal handwheels and a filed-down nut to fit the shape of the groove in the pole piece, so the threaded part engages with the holes. Slightly more of a faff to adjust up and down but I very rarely do that anyway.
    Ah mine is hard plastic so should be ok but will maybe put my guitar back in the case for storage... Just so handy having it on the stand for quick strums when the opportunity presents 
    Gibson owners have reported that the failed stand is a right pain in the neck
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    I have this stand...not gone sticky though.  I got it about 5 years ago.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73060
    SRich said:

Possible statute of limitations here....just checked the purchase date which was 2009!........ planned obsolescence?
    Not planned - they changed the design to the hard plastic when the problem became known. It must have cost them a significant amount in warranty replacements too.

Many types of plastic do nasty things like this when they age - going brittle is common (the switch handle on my lawnmower snapped off literally yesterday, it's about 15 years old and the plastic had obviously degraded, when I looked at it), but going sticky and 'self-dissolving' is also fairly well-known for 'rubbery' types... foam 'rubber' does that too - the notorious MXR pedal foam rot is a good example.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    I was just about to buy one of their 6-way stands, which of course I'm sure would be fine, being brand new...
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 627
    I've just had a brand new replacement from Hercules completely free of charge following one of my stands doing this! You need to contact 

Strings@stringsandthings.co.uk (UK Distributor)

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    I had a single and a double that both went this way, single failed, double has gone sticky.
    Contacted UK dealer and they asked for some pics of the bar code, sent out 2 replacements within a week.
    This was just before xmas last year-but I bought the stands probably 10 years ago.
    I now have 2 singles, and 2 doubles, but only adjust 1 of each.
    Great customer service.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 627
    I should add that I originally contacted them asking to purchase a replacement for the broken part so that I could fit it to the existing stand but they ignored my request and just sent me a full new stand instead  =)
    prlgmnr said:
    I was just about to buy one of their 6-way stands, which of course I'm sure would be fine, being brand new...

The footprint of the 6-way stands is pretty big, bigger than I thought anyway. I have one that I don't use for that very reason (and that I could let go!), but I don't think it uses the same mechanism.
    Call me Dave.