SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Best 5 way switch for a Strat?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
Any recommendations for a solid replacement for my 80s Jap Strat?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15214
    The CRL sprung type feels best.

Superswitches come in numerous formats, enabling all sorts of fancy coil permutations.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I would also go with CRL.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    edited June 2020
    CRL.

You will need a new plastic tip as well, unless you file down the new switch lever to match the MIJ one - they’re significantly bigger, beyond the point where you can heat the tip on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5101
    You could try a 10-way...

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    Thanks folks. That 10 way switch is interesting. Baldwin use a combination of 5 way switch and pull-pot on their Marquee guitars to get the same combinations.. which sound great.. but I'll most likely go for the CRL. :)
  • lapua65lapua65 Frets: 42
    If you go with the freeway, be careful with the soldering iron. The tracks are really fragile and I managed to vaporise a couple with a 60w iron. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    lapua65 said:
    If you go with the freeway, be careful with the soldering iron. The tracks are really fragile and I managed to vaporise a couple with a 60w iron. 
    Thanks @lapua65. Sometimes these 'solutions' can be more trouble than they're worth so thanks for the warning.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15214
    equalsql said:
    Thanks folks. That 10 way switch is interesting. 
    Yeah but no but …

The coil permutations offered as Bank B (6 to 10) might not prove to be as exciting as you imagine. 

At least, on the Freeway 3B six-way switch, all six sounds are distinct and usable. Plus, unlike the 4-way + S-1 circuit, the sounds are where you expect to find them on the switch.

lapua65 said:
    be careful with the soldering iron. The tracks are really fragile  
    This is also true of EYB/Schaller Megaswitches. Heat loosens the glue that fastens the PCB soldering pads and track strips. Once loose, the tracks can tear and break. This limits the opportunities for experimentation.

Decide on your circuit. Measure twice. Cut once. Solder once. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.