Oh GAS you devious mistress .... NGD

LewyLewy Frets: 4376
So on another thread I asked about Squier  Bullet Mustangs for my kids...which got me thinking about Mustangs...which got me looking at Mustang videos...combined with feeling deprived about having to sell some kit recently to cover a tax bill...which got me thinking about how if I cancelled a subscription or two that could cover the repayments on some credit and ... well....

.... with the added benefit that when the kids get their Bullet Mustangs we can all be our very own [Saxondale
accent] ‘Stang Gang [/Saxondale accent]

It’s a Vintera by the way...
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    that looks great, don't think I've ever played one but I guess they pack a punch
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dandldandl Frets: 36
    I really like the look of these and have been fancying adding one to the collection. How do you find it and how is the trem, does it keep it's tuning well?

• LewyLewy Frets: 4376
    dandl said:
    I really like the look of these and have been fancying adding one to the collection. How do you find it and how is the trem, does it keep it's tuning well?

Too early to say but I’ll report back. One thing I wish I’d spent 30 seconds researching was the bridge before taking all the strings off to oil the board and put my preferred set on...ended up having to take the whole thing off to reattach the springs which fell off when all the string tension came off :)
  • dandldandl Frets: 36
    Gutted, sounds like the sort of thing that would happen to me. Enjoy it and let me know how you get along :) 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    Mustangs are great, very versatile and comfortable to play. Yours looks very nice indeed.
  • Now that’s a surprise! 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    GAS is indeed a cruel and fickle mistress.  

But some of us LIKE to end up feeling dirty, and used.

Lovely looking guitar.  Happy NGD
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Love a stang. Congrats
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    Enjoy !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4376
    dandl said:

So, thoughts after a couple of days....

A very pleasing guitar. I have pretty small hands and whilst I don't have an aversion to big necks, the short scale and slim neck make some things feel very easy. The trem stays in tune pretty well although it's a bit of a faff to set it up right. And the actual trem arm itself is  poper pain in the hole. It's not threaded...you stick it in the hole in the tailpiece and tighten it with a grub screw which means it either needs to stay in the same position, or if you set it so you can move it a bit, it loosens within seconds and flaps around (and there's a lot of play.

Sound-wise, clean it's very open sounding with a fast attack. Picking up a strat after playing the mustang for an hour or so, the strat sounded quite compressed by comparison. With some nice overdrive, the bridge pickup on it's own is quite a revelation. You can get very chunky blues sounds - almost bucker tones which I wasn't expecting. I suspect the scale and tension contribute. I haven't found a crunchy sound I'm crazy about with the neck pickup yet but still early days. The two pickups in teh out of phase setting do sound classically out of phase, but to be usable this setting would need its own dedicated boost/drive on a board as it needs EQing and its considerately quieter than the individual pickups.

So, for a leap of faith/experiment it's proving fun. It's got me on the hunt for a Jaguar now too!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    You guys have really gotta get a grip on this GAS thang. I’m worried it’s becoming a real problem for some of you ;) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12583
    Lewy said:
    dandl said:

So, thoughts after a couple of days....

A very pleasing guitar. I have pretty small hands and whilst I don't have an aversion to big necks, the short scale and slim neck make some things feel very easy. The trem stays in tune pretty well although it's a bit of a faff to set it up right. And the actual trem arm itself is  poper pain in the hole. It's not threaded...you stick it in the hole in the tailpiece and tighten it with a grub screw which means it either needs to stay in the same position, or if you set it so you can move it a bit, it loosens within seconds and flaps around (and there's a lot of play.

Sound-wise, clean it's very open sounding with a fast attack. Picking up a strat after playing the mustang for an hour or so, the strat sounded quite compressed by comparison. With some nice overdrive, the bridge pickup on it's own is quite a revelation. You can get very chunky blues sounds - almost bucker tones which I wasn't expecting. I suspect the scale and tension contribute. I haven't found a crunchy sound I'm crazy about with the neck pickup yet but still early days. The two pickups in teh out of phase setting do sound classically out of phase, but to be usable this setting would need its own dedicated boost/drive on a board as it needs EQing and its considerately quieter than the individual pickups.

So, for a leap of faith/experiment it's proving fun. It's got me on the hunt for a Jaguar now too!
    As a committed stratist I bought a j mascis jazzmaster recently which is great but is very similar to a strat to play.  Have just picked up a squier jaguar, just great fun to play and far less strattish even though the pickups are in theory more like strats.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    Cool guitar!