NGD: Fender FSR MIJ Hybrid Telecaster

What's Hot
grayngrayn Frets: 925
I'd tried this Tele out, just over a year ago.  At the time, it was just pipped by an Original Series 50s American Tele.
It was the classic, blackguard looks and mega beefy neck that tipped it to the US Tele. 
But that guitar had problems with the nitro finish on the neck. 
I'd more or less sorted it with regular neck wiping but the whole experience put me off that guitar.
So it was moved on and I've been Tele-less for while.
Eventually decided to put that right and remembered this indigo gem, from Japan.
Last week, with shops re-opening, I'd nipped into a friends shop and tried a couple of other Teles.
A 90s, Japanese Tele, with a sunburst, bound body and maple fingerboard and a white American Performer.
Both were nice guitars but didn't impress me enough, to pull the trigger.
So it was over to Sound Affects (now re-open) and on with this FSR Fender.
And yes, it was just as good as I remember, with the American Vintage '58 Single-Coil pickups sounding just how a Tele should.
The U shaped neck, with it's satin finish, plays really well and the whole guitar is built and finished just right.
All that plus locking tuners and a 4-way switch, giving series and parallel choices, with both pickups make this Tele a serious bargain, IMO.
I guess the thing that may put folk off is the indigo body, with maple fingerboard and white pearloid scratchplate.
I like it's look.  Not classic but kinda classy.
I did think of putting a red scratchplate on it, if only I could track down a 5-screw red Tele plate.
Played through my Roland Blues Cube Hot, it really sounds gutsy, even better than the tone I coaxed out of the Fender Hot Rod, in the shop.
Not only did I get it at a great price, SFX even threw in a hard foam case, to sweeten the deal.  Happy man.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    score! love that
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1655
    Looks lush! Congrats. Out of interest, what is it that makes it a hybrid?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    Dan_Halen said:
    I too wondered this ! 
  • Great colour. Big fan of Japanese Teles personally too. If you send this place an accurate outline of the scratchplate I imagine they could make you a red one that would be an exact fit.  https://www.axioncustom.co.uk/

I've linked here several times, which may look suspicious. I've no personal interest in the business, but they made me a great scratchplate & were a great place to deal with, so happy to try to help them out.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    Love it, really nice colour

• oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 887
    I've been lusting after this Tele for about a year. Looks fanatastic. Can I ask what you paid for it?
  • grayngrayn Frets: 925
    oh_pollo said:
    I've been lusting after this Tele for about a year. Looks fanatastic. Can I ask what you paid for it?
    £840.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    I think that looks fantastic - I wouldn't change anything about the appearance, it looks just right to me.
    Call me Dave.
    Dan_Halen said:

It's hard to say but I think it's the mix of classic design and pickups, with a few modern features, like locking tuners and extra switching.  "Hybrid", does make it sound more extreme than it is.
    Great colour. Big fan of Japanese Teles personally too. If you send this place an accurate outline of the scratchplate I imagine they could make you a red one that would be an exact fit.  https://www.axioncustom.co.uk/

I've linked here several times, which may look suspicious. I've no personal interest in the business, but they made me a great scratchplate & were a great place to deal with, so happy to try to help them out.

Cheers, I'll check them out.