Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16877
    Thankfully this is not a democracy ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2381
    Clear perspex guard? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    One pickup - no guard, two pickups - guard. This is my cents worth. Great work and thanks for documenting it so well.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    With the scratchplate. Always.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    Wooden scratchlate.
    Wooden scratchlate.
    not that.  Whilst I do appreciate the skill that goes into making all the accessories out of contrasting wood  I really don't think it looks very nice 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • A clear guard could work actually. It'll help protect that wonderful top while showing it off.
    I am going to wait till the rest of the work is done before making a decision.   the next things to happen will be white body binding and a new cap on the headstock, both of which might change my feelings towards the white guard
    Just thinned the headstock down ready for the koa headplate.   it was a bit hairy, especially blending in the curve and bending the koa to match... I think its worked out okay but we will have to wait and see.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I think that tortoiseshell binding and 'guard would look a treat.

But then I'm a sucker for tortoiseshell.
    So a small job done on the body, I have glued some strips eitehr end of the control cavity to help prevent any splitting

And the headplate is on, but not totally successfully.

Truss rod hole looks a little messy here, the strip near the nut needs a little tidying up too.  Both of these are simple fixes... but i got a hard crease in the wood which won't be such a simple fix.  it should mostly sand out but i think there will always be a little shadow there
    edited July 2014
    time for some binding

I am using the stew-mac router set to do this task, it makes cutting the channel a piece of piss

2 minutes later I have a channel that fits the binding pretty perfectly.  I always let the binding protrude slightly so it can be scraped back to a nice finish

That binding cutter won't do near the jack socket as its bearing rides against the side of the body, so it left this little bit to do by hand which i did with an almost flat gouge and sharp carving knife

To prepare the binding i scrape the back side of it to remove the glossy plastic finish, this helps the glue do its job

I then tape the binding around the body, mainly to make sure it fits

and at this point i get a heat gun  very gently on the more difficult curves to help pre-bend them.  I have also used a hairdryer quite successfully for this and would go for the gentler hear of a hairdryer whenever using celluloid binding.

edited July 2014
    ready for binding now, i wet the channel with water

this helps the super glue dry quickly, but stops it soaking into the wood and drying too quickly.  

hard to take pics of the next stage but i put a few drops of glue in the channel evenly spaced.  push the binding in place and hold it there whilst rubbing with a cloth.  the rubbing helps remove excess glue and helps push the binding in place, the movement helps stop the cloth sticking.  about 10 seconds of rubbing and it is stuck, although worth noting that end grain often takes a bit longer.  I do about 2" at a time on end grain , or upto 4" at a time down the sides, drops of superglue every 1cm seem to spread to fill the whole channel nicely without too much squeeze out

and we have half done, 
    and a bit of tissue stuck to it but that won't be a problem to remove when i clean up  there is also a bit of superglue soaked into the top.  if i was doing a stain this would be a potential problem, especially if too much glue soaked in. but since i wet the wood it won't have soaked in far and should come off at cleanout stage relatively easily.  just something to consider if tryign this

about 10 minutes later its all done

doesn't need taping in place, but if any bits are struggling to stick it doesn't hurt to use a bit of tape

here it is in its rough state, will get scraped back later

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27837
    WezV said:

Doesn't really look like a £79 kit any more, does it !!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7504
    edited July 2014
    'here it is in its rough state'

Git. :) That looks fantastic, and goes with the top really, really well.

Explanation and pics are spot on, too. I don't have routing equipment, but if I did I'd 100 percent feel ready to try this sort of thing on a cheap body.
  • Actually, I prefer with guard now for sure. It suits so well.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Thanks for that @WesV great thread and a great looking guitar so far
    thanks guys.

it will look so much sharper after the first scrape back

I also have a new bridge tuners and nut to go on it so i will be drilling for through body stringing soon.  Don't think i have any ferrules though so if i don't find some spare in the parts draw i may make a string anchor block instead
    TTony said:
    WezV said:

I thought it was £65
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27837
    WezV said:
    TTony said:
    WezV said:

I thought it was £65
    I was guessing ... but your point makes the transformation even more remarkable.  

OK, so it's taken a little (lot) of time, and a lot (very lot) of experience and skill, but it shows what can be done.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.