NGD - Squier 51

What's Hot
pottolompottolom Frets: 114
edited June 2020 in Guitar

Just got this via eBay.

2005, so one of the original run with the fatter neck, top-loader bridge, etc. All original with Vintage Blonde finish and blackguard.

Seems great so far. In excellent condition, neck is 0.86" at the first fret 0.88" at the 12th, a nice full C shape. Not excessively fat, but certainly not what I'd call slim.

7.25 lb, which for its size (it's a very slim body) actually feels nicely substantial. Spanky and resonant. 

Seems to distort really nicely into a tube amp, but I haven't had much time with it yet to really describe exactly how it sounds. 

Stock tuners seem to hold tune well, and the bridge (which gets a bad write-up on the web) seems stable and isn't buzzing (I guess as it's over 15 years old it's had plenty of time for the previous owner(s) to set it up well, though). Fit and finish all very similar to a MIM Strat I had last year.

The plastic nut (which also gets a bad write-up) seems well cut and perfectly fine to me.

I absolutely love its Tele meets Strat meets 50s P-Bass looks.

Definitely recommended for the price they're still going for used, an absolutely ridiculous bargain. 
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really like these. When they first came out I thought they were hideous :) but that's a cool little guitar. Hngd! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    pottolom said:
    Seems to distort really nicely into a tube amp. 
    That’ll be the disproportionately high output humbucker. 

For me, the biggest bugbear is the control layout - that silly rotary pickup selector and no tone control! (There are various solutions to this.) 

The MIJ version has a Texas Special as the neck position pickup that suits it extremely well. 

Enjoy.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    pottolom said:
    Seems to distort really nicely into a tube amp. 
    That’ll be the disproportionately high output humbucker. 

For me, the biggest bugbear is the control layout - that silly rotary pickup selector and no tone control! (There are various solutions to this.) 

The MIJ version has a Texas Special as the neck position pickup that suits it extremely well. 

Enjoy.

Funnily enough, I'm finding switching between neck and bridge pickups isn't resulting in much of a difference in volume at all. They seem to balance well.

The rotary knob is.... interesting. With no visual indicator, you have to trust your ears to know which position you're in, and of course it's more cumbersome than a switch. I think I'll just keep this guitar stock, though.

Wouldn't mind picking another one up cheap though, sticking a P90 in the bridge, getting rid of the neck pickup and rewiring it as a Squier "Junior"!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom