Pickup opinion please.

What's Hot
MototechMototech Frets: 104
I know everyone has their own idea of tone, but I'm interested to hear what pickups people think give the most authentic vintage PAF tone.
I ask as I have a set of Gibson Custombuckers that I am thinking of using in a Les Paul build I will be doing, but would like opinions on how they compare with others, Bare Knuckle, Monty's etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited June 2020
    Get ready for the onslaught of different answers! 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited June 2020
    Having never actually played a proper PAF, i was happy with my Bare Knuckle Mules as in they did what I expected that sort of pickup to do, but overall preferred the Black Dog which is a bit more "vintage hot" and has a bit more character to it (probably less PAF-like).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31951
    PAF is a moving target, they don't all sound the same, and neither do their recreations. 

It's really a question of whether you like them on the hotter end of the scale or not, what sort of magnets would suit you, and how imbalanced you'd like the coils. 

A bit of research in that area will narrow it down to a few dozen makers, after that they're much of a muchness. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • designerseye88designerseye88 Frets: 987
    edited June 2020
    I've used a few, Custombuckers, PAF's, DryZ's, Throbaks, Gibson T Top's, BareKnuckle and others

The set I've currently kept is the DryZ's. They're not cheap and hard to find but they are quite remarkable in giving me the classic 50's PAF tone. Theirs alot of hype with them but they never disappoint. Only one's i haven't really tried are Wizz which seem to have very good feedback. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    Don't overlook OX4. His low-winds absolutely transformed my 61 reissue SG 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73061
    If you want the ones with the most 'authentic' construction, Seymour Duncan Antiquity. They're built using the correct materials and wound on the actual Leesona winding machines Gibson used in the 1950s, which Duncan bought when Gibson sold them off when they closed the Kalamazoo factory.

But original PAFs varied a lot - they were not made accurately. Every pickup manufacturer who makes a PAF-style pickup has their own interpretation of the 'PAF sound' based on different original pickups in different guitars, so you can't judge them on 'authenticity' - once you get to a certain level of quality they basically all sound like PAFs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein