Great YouTube video series: Chris Buck's 62 Strat Restoration with Tone Twins TV

What's Hot
LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
edited June 2020 in Guitar
Just wanted to share this series of videos with Tone Twins TV and Chris Buck on Chris's 62 Fiesta Red Strat.

A great watch.

Basically Chris Buck (fantastic UK guitarist) wins a 62 Strat at a random house auction for a great price (under £2000 allegedly). Guitar is a awful condition so Huw Price from Tone Twins helps him out with the restoration.

This is the first video from Tone Twins (There are 7 parts so far. Part 7 premiering tomorrow evening): 

And Chris Buck also talks about the finished guitar in this video from yesterday:

I'd recommend watching the Tone Twins TV videos first and then watching the Chris Buck video where he talks about the experience and the finished guitar! Great stuff!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    edited June 2020
    The video links are shagged, you edited your post which breaks the links, you need to edit agan and repost the links. Annoying isn't it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tadragh1Tadragh1 Frets: 70
    edited June 2020
    Loved the Chris Buck video, very informative. And that intro - wow, that guy CAN play.
    Happy to help with the links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i4541PTA4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJqxpK0o5Do
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    @RandallFlagg @Tadragh1 Sorry about the links. Thanks for the help Tadragh1.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 643
    - Always enjoy watching this sort of thing.
    - Understand the general impulse to preserve stuff.
    - Understand there’s also a financial argument for a keep-everything-you-can restoration.
    - Would also definitely have asked for a new fretboard, new nut, new wiring, new pickguard and maybe new tuners and saddles, and put the old bits straight in a drawer!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    LPManic said:
    @RandallFlagg @Tadragh1 Sorry about the links. Thanks for the help Tadragh1.
    I do it myself all the time, usually when I go back in to correct my dodgy spelling.

Ref. Chris Buck's Strat. I had already seen Chis's own video but not seen the Tone Twins TV vids so will take a look. Chris seems pretty happy with it and is stoked to own a playing vintage instrument.

I think they've done a great job but I think if it was mine I would be inclined to change out that pick guard and fit an aged replica if I could get one to fit or maybe even an original if I could find one and depending on how that finish felt may have gone for a full refinish in an aged Fiesta Red with gentle aging.

I wonder what it's worth now it's been restored? And would I prefer this '62 or a good Custom Shop Strat?

• I think Chris says on his own video he loves it to bits and definitely thinks it was a bargain but doesn't see why some people are willing to spend so much on them.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    I had him over at my workshop recently to try some guitars out, super nice guy and hugely talented

We spent most of the time talking about vintage stuff which we both like, I'll have a look at his strat next time we meet up
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    edited June 2020
    I really enjoyed watching the restoration. I would have done things slightly differently I think but it’s his guitar I suppose. He does come across like a really great guy too...and my god can he play... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    That's a nice restoration and an enjoyable watch, shame nothing was really said about the body cleanup.
    I'd have probably replaced the plate as those patches would really bug me. 
    Chris is a sublime player, really easy on the ears