Gretch Electromatic G5220 Jet BT Single-Cut vs. G5222 Double Jet BT, via Andertons - advice please

What's Hot
JesnoidJesnoid Frets: 2
Hi all - I am looking to get one of these. Desperate to get one, in fact! Difficult during lockdown to get to try any of these out. Have read all the reviews, love the sound they make (big QoTSA, Foos, Green Day fan).
- Any advice/warnings in general? (NB I have read the views on here and i know there are much better Gretsch models further up the range and these are not without their faults, but this is my price bracket for right now.)
- Any advice on the single cut vs double cut in terms of playability and how they feel against the body? (Have previously only played strat shapes to date).
- Also any advice on Andertons as a retailer, they are not far from me (am in Hampshire) and look reputable enough for me to order online and trust them to be good citizens if anything is awry or if i need to go into the shop post-lockdown.

Sorry for the drivel, any advice gratefully received!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I have a very similar one. The double cut is great. Only issue is it's rather neck heavy but I would recommend 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JesnoidJesnoid Frets: 2
    I have a very similar one. The double cut is great. Only issue is it's rather neck heavy but I would recommend 
    Thank you @lincolnblue ;
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28044
    edited June 2020
    I’m hoping to get a (natural finish) G5222 too - if/when they ever come back into stock!

I’ve bought from Andertons before with no issue, but other comments on here suggest that they tend towards box-shifting rather than being highly focussed on QC.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BlackbooksBlackbooks Frets: 26
    Same here - I want to get a natural finish G5222 when they are available and I wouldn't hesitate to use Andertons. I've ordered plenty of things from them in the past and also returned something without any problems. 
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    ....and that's me out. I love the look of those so much but cannot live with a neck heavy guitar in any way. Destroys my left shoulder worse than a 12lb LP Custom :(
  • I’ve recently picked up one of these.. https://www.gak.co.uk/en/gretsch-g5655t-electromatic-center-block-jr-single-cut-bigsby-jade-grey-metallic/933247

it’s a very nicely finished instrument. I don’t have any issue with fret access at the dusty end. 

The only thing I would say is mine really needed a bit of setup work to get it right. I’ve had new fenders / epiphones / Gibson that are all spot on. This needed some fettling of pickup heights and action.
    The finish on them is unreal. Absolutely stunning and it sounds, well it sounds like a gretsch :-) 
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 131
    I have quite an early 2018  gold G5220 BT single cut and I love it! Bought it secondhand as a modding platform but to be honest it didn’t really need modding! With a decent set up was perfectly fine as it was. The only slight negative was the bridge saddles, they were rattley  and the intonation screws would vibrate themselves loose. In the end I replaced the bridge, bushings, studs and tailpiece with Faber parts which also added a bit more weight to the body and cured any tendency to neck dive.
  • JesnoidJesnoid Frets: 2
    Thanks all - useful. As beautiful as the double cut is i think i may go for the single cut to steer away from the neck-heaviness issue. Sounds like still some tweaking to do to perfect it when it gets here though!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8156
    If you want the Malcom Young look, go for the blonde one.

Personally, I wouldn’t get either.  I would strongly suggest you go for the Pro Jet. 

IMHO, the Blacktop Filtertrons are significantly better pickups than the generic sounding broadtrons.  If you want a Gretsch, get one that sounds like a Gretsch!  
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 131
    Must admit I did end up putting filtertrons in my 5220  ;)
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8156
    john_r said:
    Must admit I did end up putting filtertrons in my 5220  ;)
    Excellent choice sir!
  • I used to have the pro jet with bigsby. And as Marlin' says the blacktop filtertron pickups are ace sounding. Mine was the ltd. Edition white with gold fittings, only got rid of it as was scared of damaging it ,was a bit too blingy for my liking....
    Swapped it for an all mahogany faith electro acoustic..the gretsch pro jet(newer model) can be picked up for £300/350..
    Happy hunting   ;)