Setup help - buzzy low string.

What's Hot
timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2476
Looking for some advice before I give up and take this to a tech.

Recently restrung my Tele with 9-42s, where previously it's had 10-46 and 10-52s on it. The low E string, and to a lesser extent the A string, are now buzzing like mad, and from what I can tell they're buzzing off the first fret.The action's mostly fine the rest of the way down the neck, so I'm wondering if the new lighter strings are too small and sitting too low in the nut slot. Is there anything I can do, short of getting the nut recut?

I haven't adjusted the relief yet, for a couple of reasons - the higher strings seem fine, and the truss rod's at the heel and I can't be arsed to pop the neck off. If that's all it will take I'll give that a go, but I'm thinking the nut's more of the issue.

Tim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    The string gauge change has lessened the tension load placed on the neck. Consequently, the truss rod is putting up too much resistance. The solution is to slacken off the truss rod.

Be arsed. Slacken off the strings. Unfasten the neck anchor screws. Slacken off the truss rod adjuster by a quarter of a turn. Reassemble everything. Reassess after things have had time to settle. 

If necessary, rinse and repeat.

The quick solution is to revert to tens.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    Yeah, loosen the truss rod a bit a go back to 10s
    edited June 2020
    Maybe, compromise on 009-048 gauges?

As an experiment, remove the new .032 and .042 and refit the old .036 and .046. If these restore the neck relief, you have your solution. 
  • as above, however you can slacked the strings right off and use a strong capo to keep them in place when you take the neck off so you don't have to fully re-string it. 

Of course, usual apologies if that's really obvious, not intended as patronising!
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2476
    edited June 2020
    as above, however you can slacked the strings right off and use a strong capo to keep them in place when you take the neck off so you don't have to fully re-string it. 

Of course, usual apologies if that's really obvious, not intended as patronising!

Good tip, thank you! There was me thinking the neck relief looked alright and that I didn't have to do anything! Thanks for the advice, everyone :3
    Tim
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73086
    You can get to the truss rod adjuster on most Telecasters just by taking the pickguard off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
    edited June 2020
    Sorry..I delete my previous comment because I might post something false. But , have you tried adjusting the truss rod?does it help? Thanks

So, just loosened the truss rod in stages to try to eliminate the buzzing. Ended up with 2mm (!) of relief and the low E and A strings are still buzzing! So that's not it.
    Tim
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73086
    Did you accidentally adjust the E/A bridge saddle when you changed the strings - or maybe flip it over completely?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

timmypix said:
    from what I can tell, they're buzzing off the first fret.
    It would be worth determining exactly where the buzz originates. It is possible for the lengths of string between the nut and tuners to resonate. 

It is possible that the nut is damaged or abused. There could be cracks at the bottom of the string slots. There could be gunk or rough edges at the node point. The nut could be coming unglued.

You could have a twisted neck or a lifting fret. This sort of issue is easier to diagnose remotely with photographs.
    I've spent some more time with it and got the truss rod back to a not insane level.

The buzzing is almost definitely off the first fret, and it's only on the bottom two strings, and is most severe on the low E string. It's only on open strings, and not on any fretted notes.

The A string sounds like a note with bad buzzing; the buzzing on the low E is so bad that it's hard to hear the actual note ringing past it.

I've taken the best pictures I could with my phone (no macro mode though!) of the nut and the string on the first fret. Album HERE.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
    Tim
  • EppiEppi Frets: 10
    From your pictures it looks as though the nut slots are too deep for the strings. This would cause the buzzing on the first fret and would not be heard if you fretted the strings on that first fret.

Eppi said:
    From your pictures it looks as though the nut slots are too deep for the strings. This would cause the buzzing on the first fret and would not be heard if you fretted the strings on that first fret.

That was my thought but good to have it backed up. Off for a new nut it goes, I guess?
    Tim