What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3429
edited June 2020 in Guitar
  Found these....1988 Guitar gear pricelists https://imgur.com/a/xajog99
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253
    Are these all in GBP?

If so, then my Cu24‘s list price would have been ~£1400, or £3850 in today’s money - which isn’t far off current prices!

Those Marshall cabs seem expensive though? And the Mesa’s look pretty comparable to recent times (pre-latest increases at least).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3429
    edited June 2020
    Yes, all GBP. I found them while having a clear out...

Marshall Superlead and JEM777 were the hot buys
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2280
    I was on 8k a year with two small children and one large mortgage so couldn't afford any of those.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    People often forget about (or underestimate) inflation when looking at prices from the past.

Adjusted for inflation, £329 is equivalent to between £900 and £1300 today, depending how it's measured.

So looking at the prices of Charvels now, those prices aren't actually good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    P.S. I think that's the main reason it's so common for old people to express shock and disdain at the price of things - their reference for how much things generally cost is from years ago and they don't consider inflation.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4308
    What would a decent jap strat copy like a tokai cost around 1979 in uk£ anyone have ideas 

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    What would a decent jap strat copy like a tokai cost around 1979 in uk£ anyone have ideas 

I still have a Tokai Jazz bass which I bought second hand in c1985 for £175 which is almost £600 in today’s money.  My mate bought a Tokai Strat new in c1984, which he still has, for which I think he paid around £200?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Musicwolf said:

I still have a Tokai Jazz bass which I bought second hand in c1985 for £175 which is almost £600 in today’s money.  My mate bought a Tokai Strat new in c1984, which he still has, for which I think he paid around £200?
    Cool thanks , I’m guessing in the late 70s they would have been a bit cheaper then , still a significant purchase though , early to mid 80s does seem a sweet spot for quality like tokai , it’s amazing what is available to us now for such reasonable prices , 
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    Musicwolf said:

I Have a jv squier I bought new in 1984 for £220 for context.
  • liamonliamon Frets: 105
    Inflation aside, the 2nd hand market has gotten so out of control in the past few years that I’m thinking of getting out of the game for good. Probably down to a combination of eBay fees, PayPal fees, and the buy it now feature. I know that asking price is rarely the actual price, but still...  
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 961
    thegummy said:
    P.S. I think that's the main reason it's so common for old people to express shock and disdain at the price of things - their reference for how much things generally cost is from years ago and they don't consider inflation.
    Plus the fact that I started work on £17 per week and that paid for all my outgoings plus a night out at the weekend!
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    “Carter Brandon. I served all through t’First World War for the likes of you.”
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19412
    ^  Aaaah, I didn't know you cared.
    Flipping 1983 £25 a week YTS although with £15 left ,saving a tenner a week would provide ample kit after 3/4 of a year , plus being 16 my older friends in 18 to 20s could be relied on for the odd drink . Bus fare from Spaulding to Peterborough to see friends probably would t be more than £1.20 I can’t really remember probably cheaper . Actually my friends in Peterborough had a CB radio and it was ace for buying and selling on , bit like Facebook marketplace 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8152
    edited June 2020
    A pint of beer in a trendy town centre pub was about £1 then. 
    Or about 79p in a fenland backwater market town 
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    Haven’t seen £1 a pint since uni days - 2007. Usually €7-8 here in Paris (and never full to the top!). Think I’ve paid €14 for a Hoegaarden :(
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 779
    The 1970's were grim.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1510
    edited June 2020
    My first full time job as a computer programmer was at £1,200 a year in 1972.  I went out and ordered a new Gibson Les Paul 55 Special (not knowing what it was and thinking it would be better than the standard!).  I was able to get it on a loan form Lombard based on my new job, but I think it was still a lot of money (I also traded in a 1967 Strat, which had all the CBS issues!).  When I first went to the pub, it was 1/10 for a pint (one shilling and ten pence in old money).
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253
    thegummy said:
    People often forget about (or underestimate) inflation when looking at prices from the past.

Adjusted for inflation, £329 is equivalent to between £900 and £1300 today, depending how it's measured.

So looking at the prices of Charvels now, those prices aren't actually good.
    Generally I use this one! 

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator