Hot Rail pickups? Yea or Nea?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• longshinslongshins Frets: 247
    edited June 2020
    Has anyone tried an Injector?

I'm quite interested to try one as apparently they can do epic gain pretty well.
    I have an Ibanez fireman with those in and yes, they can take epic gain amazingly well,  aren’t anywhere near as hot as a jb though but the bridge position injector is tonally so cool... loads of string definition and attack when you dig in, no flubby bass. I’m not so keen on the neck position though, it’s actually a bit too woolly which seems odd... I may just need to lower it a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    Has anyone tried an Injector?
    Yes, in an Ibanez Fireman. Surprisingly good noise rejection.

For my tastes, the DiMarzio rail pickups sound most effective in the neck/Rhythm position. Then, their “halfway house” character becomes an asset.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I had one of those Irongear rail mini HBs in my Strat bridge position for a while. Good pickup and decent sound. I agree with what others have said about the ‘tight’ sound and it not being like a full sized HB, but I think they work perfectly well on their own terms. The main reason I took mine out was because in the end I prefer the traditional looks of a Strat with s/c pickups. For the price you could always try the Irongear, then thicken it up with an EQ pedal to get your desired ‘chug’. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    I think you'll only be able to buy them second hand as they're exclusively OEM, but the Duncan Designed version of the hot rails is actually slightly hotter than the Seymour Duncan one
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Crazyblue1779Crazyblue1779 Frets: 187
    edited June 2020
    I’ve decided to go full sized so I’ve ordered an Iron Gear Hammerhead 

I’ve used Iron Gear pickups before, and to be honest I also love the way this one looks. I’ve also got a fetching tortiseshell pickguard on route too ( the strat is White  Blonde) so it should end up looking and sounding pretty awesome. 

I’m leaving the other pickups stock ( for now..) as they actually sound great especially considering the price of the guitar. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2958
    That must be based on the Duncan Invader by the looks of it! Actually a great sounding picking in a strat, doesn't just do metal either so long as you like a big fat sound :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    TTBZ said:
    That must be based on the Duncan Invader by the looks of it! Actually a great sounding picking in a strat, doesn't just do metal either so long as you like a big fat sound :)
    The Invader is great sounding in a PRS and a Gretsch Electromatic as well ;).

It also coil-splits to something quite like a Rickenbacker High-Gain pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    TTBZ said:
    The Invader is great sounding in a PRS and a Gretsch Electromatic as well ;).

It also coil-splits to something quite like a Rickenbacker High-Gain pickup.

I have an Invader in a 7 string Squier Strat, brutal!
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    ICBM said:
    they're always more focused and tighter-sounding. It's inevitable with the narrow string-sensing length
    This assertion even holds true for narrow humbuckers.

I have a Seymour Duncan JB-under-a-P90-cover Custom Shop pickup. This is achieved by shaving down the bobbins before the coils are wound onto them. Consequently, the centre lines of the bobbins lie 3mm closer together than on the regular SH-4.

https://i.imgur.com/eEulSsK.jpg

Despite having ostensibly the exact same components, there is an audible difference. The JB90 sound is “smaller” and a touch more raspy - not necessarily a bad thing.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Hi guys I just wanted to revive this thread after some recent playing. Basically I've not played on my Legacy Special for some time, but today I got it out, did a quick set up on it sort the action and put with the old strings. 

Well, I'm so impressed with the tone out of it I'm not considering selling it anymore at all. If you want PAF like blades see if you can get a set of G&L blade buckers from somewhere. They're brilliant. I'll do some recordings when I get round to it so you can hear them. 

They're made by Gotah but to a G&L spec - they're not hot rails. Really smooth tones, I can get anywhere between PAF and straty twang with them. They're amazing

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?290978-G-amp-L-Legacy-Special

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=63145

http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatsshakin/G%26L_Pickups/Pages/Guitar__Blade_humbucker.html