Best guitar for around £1500 - £2000

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
If I have £1500 - £2000 to spend on a new guitar, what brand gives the best value for money at those price points?  Must be brand new.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    What sort of music do you play? There are absolutely loads of guitars around that price point...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    It is my genuine opinion that at this point you don't get value for money in the new guitar market.

5 years or less ago you'd get a shiny new Music Man or Vigier for that, now it gets you a LTD that isn't actually finished properly or a "prestige" Ibanez that slices your fingers open.

Actually Duesenberg maybe offer value/quality for that price range, if you can deal with the mystery surrounding their fantastical journey around the world prior to getting to you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    The best value for money would probably be 2 x £750 guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3099
    NOS 2015 Les Paul with Robotuners
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059

Best for value at £1500-2000?

Then £2000 on a bolt on from any brand is not value for money strictly speaking. If you want value for money….the segment is probably around £500-800 mark like PRS SE, or Fender Vintera. Get a couple of those and you will be laughing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2958
    PRS? I'd be looking at an S2 McCarty 594 if I had that kind of money to blow on a single guitar. Either that or try to find a nice example of a Les Paul Classic.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    'Value for Money' seems to be the wrong approach.  Secondhand would logically get you most bang for your buck (unless it's 'collectable'), but you specify new.  Is this because it is to be a special gift?

If this is a guitar that you intend to keep (I've never understood 'flipping' thing) then the 'best value' will be the instrument that you are going to play the most over the next X years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grayngrayn Frets: 938
    An Elite HSS strat.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    edited June 2020

I bought one of the above for £799. Designed in the UK and built in Korea then set up in the UK. 
    Alder body, Madagascar ebony fretboard Kent Armstrong pickups, treble bleed and coil taps plus a very nice PRS type gig bag. 
    Absolutely a first rate guitar and well worth the money, haven’t touched another guitar since. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7222
    grungebob said:

I bought one of the above for £799. Designed in the UK and built in Korea then set up in the UK. 
    Alder body, Madagascar ebony fretboard Kent Armstrong pickups, treble bleed and coil taps plus a very nice PRS type gig bag. 
    Absolutely a first rate guitar and well worth the money, haven’t touched another guitar since. 
    what is it?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 662
    edited June 2020
    If I have £1500 - £2000 to spend on a new guitar, what brand gives the best value for money at those price points?  Must be brand new.
    New is inherently poor value for money. £700-1000 of that will be for the privilege of having owned it before someone else has.

If you actually want to buy a good guitar, not just a new one for the sake of it, then just buy a mint used guitar, and get it polished/set up etc if you need to, and you'll get a £3-4.5k guitar for that budget. It will look identical, just won't have a warranty from the shop.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860
    Why brand new?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4076
    I think Eastman offer good value for money. I love my T59v, it’s as good as any Gibson I have had, including Custom Shop.  Some may not pay £1,500 because they are made in China, but I don’t even think about that, it’s just a fantastic instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    What about G&L? My latest guitar was a minty doheny v12 secondhand. I paid £1200 for it, which is probably a bit more than it's market value but I was looking at them for a while and couldn't believe my luck with one being second hand. I'm really happy with it - the finishing is great, it's a really resonant piece of wood which is joy to play acoustically. The only issue with it was the nut width which is player preference anyway and I had it swapped out. The MFD humbuckers on it are really unique and sound fantastic through a responsive amp like a tweed. 

I've seen Andertons are offering some decent reductions on G&L's in general, they're not that fashionable (I've not seen many people discuss them in these parts anyway), but build quality is superb I've not found a blemish anywhere!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23751

There's no definitive best value guitar to fit a particular price range.

Better to decide on the type of guitar and any particular specs you want, then go looking for that and see what it costs.  If it's a Strat, there might be something very close in the Mexican range, perhaps something exactly right in the USA range - but for twice the price.  Then it's a personal choice whether or not it's "value for money".

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8872
    What madness is this?

I thought received wisdom round here was to score A Harley Benton and a set of truly kick-ass pickups to jam in it.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
  • kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 966
    edited June 2020
    At least here on the continent some haggling will still get you a new Vigier Excalibur for that money.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2047
    Pretty simple to search GuitarGuitar and look at the price range you're asking about.  Standout options look like PRS CE24s, solid or hollow, a few Japanese Gretsches, and an ex-demo Les Paul Standard.

You could probably spend less and get more value - the Am Pro Tele in Olympic White / Mint Green looks lovely and you could do pretty much everything you'd ever need with just that.

"Value" and "new" don't often go together well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom