Gibson Les Paul Junior vs Tribute DC

NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
One is twice the price of the other, but is it twice the guitar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6888
    I’ve recently had both. 

Bought a tribute, liked it, wanted something more my style.

The DC tribute I thought was fine, nothing wrong with it for the price. 

Much thinner lacquer. Comes in a gig bag. 
    Slightly sharp fret ends but nothing major.
    Had the frozen fret treatment. 
    Compensated bridge/tailpiece. 

The LPJ has a bigger neck I think, the 50’s vintage type. Comes in a hard case. Has a dog ear p90. 
    Lacquer thicker than I’d hoped for but maybe thats the norm. 
    Frets all good, sounds good.
    Has a non compensated wrap around. 2 piece body (from what I can see).

But who knows, maybe I got a decent pair. 

Twice the price, ehh, hard to say really.. they were both the first Gibsons I’d ever laid hands on. 

I quickly realised I liked the single p-90 type thing, and swapped it in for the Lpj.. Because then I could be Billie Joe Armstrong. Lol. 

Im not qualified enough to say, but I get the impression the case takes up a hundred/ hundred and fifty, and the lack of ‘tribute’ probably inflates it somewhat too. 

Im a bit of an ocd type for ‘strings have to pass over the pole pieces and also be equidistant from the fretboard edges’. 

Looking on Peach through their stock a while back, a fair amount were off, which was annoying. But, the lack of a grooved tailpiece makes it so you can space the strings out a bit to how you want. 

The one I got though, seems built well, and I love playing it. One small weird finish imperfection, but as I’ve battered it about anyway I cared not.     

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom