Potential eBay scam?

What's Hot
I wondered if anyone else has experience of this situation or could offer any thoughts?

The advert for my Pete Beer Concert Classical guitar has been replicated and now appears on eBay at a vastly inflated price.  The person who placed the advert only joined eBay four days ago and has no history of selling anything else, or of pulling this particular stunt with anyone else's property.

So should I consider this nothing more than an opportunistic "agency sale" and do nothing, accepting the additional exposure?  Should I contact eBay and let them know they are likely to have a vendor selling product that is not in their ownership or possession? What if the vendor sells the guitar, takes the money and disappears? I surely run the risk of a very angry buyer tracking me down from adverts elsewhere and pursuing me as a criminal scammer?

Any thoughts, experiences, or other sage wisdom will be very gratefully received.  Thank you so much.

Keith
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    I would report to ebay. Just for the info should they get back to you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I think the word 'potential' was probably unnecessary.

Report the advert. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72445
    Report to Ebay immediately.

At best, this person is planning to "sell" the guitar on Ebay when they don't actually own it - which is illegal - then try to buy it from you for the lower price, and pocket the difference.

At worst, it's an outright scam and they intend to defraud the buyer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Indeed a scam and the only reason it looks like they haven't done it before is because next week it will be done with a different account.   Report before people suspect your ad is the scam.  
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4189
    Report the mofo
  • SputnikSputnik Frets: 51
    Thanks to you all for taking the time to offer advice and support.  What a truly fabulous parish this is.

I have reported the seller to eBay and explained the situation fully, so I assume that at some point within the next few weeks the spurious advert will be taken down or, as @John_P suggests, reappear on eBay in a different town with a new vendor's account details ...

Thanks again for all your kindness.

Keith   
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4930
    Yep - reporting to ebay and letting them sort it is the way.
    Auctioning something you don't have is a clear breach.
    I reported this definition of audacity to eBay's seller scams department last Wednesday.  

It's now Sunday afternoon and the scammer's copy of my Pete Beer Concert Classical advert is still live on their site and has now acquired 7 watchers. My legitimate, genuine bargain advert at less than 80% of the scammer's asking price has attracted 130 views, but no firm interest.  Is there no justice?  Hey ho ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    Sputnik said:
    I reported this definition of audacity to eBay's seller scams department last Wednesday.  

It's now Sunday afternoon and the scammer's copy of my Pete Beer Concert Classical advert is still live on their site and has now acquired 7 watchers. My legitimate, genuine bargain advert at less than 80% of the scammer's asking price has attracted 130 views, but no firm interest.  Is there no justice?  Hey ho ...
    Those watchers are probably just us, watching what happens :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5654
    If you report anything to eBay, if possible, try to report it under a category that suggests to eBay they will lose money from the listing you're reporting.

From experience their reaction to reporting fraudulent listing practices is much slower, if they act at all, than reporting under contact information in description or photos.

Just a thought.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Thanks for the wisdom, @Haych.  I have certainly had no reaction whatsoever from the complaint I raised last week, so I suspect your perceptive take on eBay's priorities does set out the path I should have followed.

Absurdly, in the meantime, I might just have rediscovered my love for Pete Beer's craftsmanship after all.  Mmmm ...