Descendant Vibrato - Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem - first look

First saw these on Instagram fitted to Waterslide guitars (who I found via Mojo UK pickups). I haven't seen them mentioned here, so in case anyone's interested, here are some photos and first impressions. No option at the moment to install, so can't actually comment on the performance or feel etc.

The main USPs are that the default setup gives a sharper break angle (and/or a lower bridge/less need for neck shimming), as the strings 'descend' further into the unit. This aspect is somewhat adjustable - see below. It also has adjustable arm tension, accessible from the top, and front-loading strings.

These came direct from Swope Guitars but they are now available from James' Home Of Tone (no affiliation etc.) US price is $175, so just a smidge less than a Mastery. £220 from the UK supplier.

I can't see any info on materials etc., but it appears to be nicely machined from stainless steel. Fit and finish look very good, but there are a couple of small marks on the arms.

They're supplied in a little drawstring bag with the arm loose, mounting screws and an allen key, photocopied instruction sheet. A small additional photocopied insert states that a modification to the arm allows it to be removed and replaced without changing the swing tension.

You can just about make out how the strings front-load:

Side view showing the 'drop plates' - two approx. 1 mm shims. You can remove one or both to reduce the break angle. The instructions recommend installing it as supplied initially.

Trading feedback: Trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Looks cool, would be nice to see the difference in break angle side by side. Would one still use a mastery bridge with this :) ?
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Waterslide use Staytrem bridges, but whatever works for you.
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    Necro-bump I know, but did you ever fit this and what are your thoughts? Considering one myself. 
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Apologies @hessodreamy I did see this, but when you posted I was expecting one of these to finally be put to use about now, so was waiting for that to happen before replying.

Unfortunately, the Descendant is not compatible with Fender Bullet strings and this is a deal breaker for the owner. (Yes, really - he's ordered a new Fender Panorama trem instead.) So I'm still none the wiser.

Possible upside is that there may be a couple of these available unused (but they are in Sweden).