Sustainer/Sustainiac Guitars

not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
I've been wanting to scratch this itch for a while...and I was watching Phil Collen's (Def Leppard) live Instagram chat last night and he's a big user of these, and I've been listening to a lot of Satriani recently as well.

Only existing guitar that I have that I'd consider having hacked about is an EVH Wolfgang, which would be quite cool with a sustainer, but I've no idea what sort of ballpark it'd be to source and fit (this won't be a DIY job). Anyone got any ideas on cost for that mod? (@ICBM IIRC you've fitted these before haven't you?)

Other options is a new guitar, I'm thinking 80s cheesy rock style not the Fender EOB Strat by the way. Schecter seems to be the one manufacture with lots in their catalogue, but that's not a brand I've ever tried before.

Any others I should look at?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112
    Check on fleabay regularly. There's currently a superstrat type Fernandes on there.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fernandes-Revolver-Pro-Guitar-Sustainer-Floyd-Rose/274407190955?hash=item3fe3f171ab:g:NaUAAOSwAa9e6f1O

The basic Fernandes sustainer kit is around £200 then you'll probably need significant body routing by someone to get it fitted
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73086

Anyone got any ideas on cost for that mod? (@ICBM IIRC you've fitted these before haven't you?)
    Not many, but in my experience the Sustainiac is both better and easier to fit than the Fernandes. Jonathan @FelineGuitars is the authority on them and was doing the Sustainiac kits, but from a recent enquiry I made they're not available at the moment.

How much it costs depends on how much work it is to adapt the existing guitar - it can be fairly easy if you're lucky, or involve extensive routing and buggering about if you're not...

One of the ones I did that turned out to be quite easy was @Moe_Zambeek 's Reverend Reeves Gabrels, which I think he's still selling, if that's of interest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Check on fleabay regularly. There's currently a superstrat type Fernandes on there.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fernandes-Revolver-Pro-Guitar-Sustainer-Floyd-Rose/274407190955?hash=item3fe3f171ab:g:NaUAAOSwAa9e6f1O

The basic Fernandes sustainer kit is around £200 then you'll probably need significant body routing by someone to get it fitted
    No routing needed usually.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    edited June 2020
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3452
    ICBM said:

Anyone got any ideas on cost for that mod? (@ICBM IIRC you've fitted these before haven't you?)
    Not many, but in my experience the Sustainiac is both better and easier to fit than the Fernandes. Jonathan @FelineGuitars is the authority on them and was doing the Sustainiac kits, but from a recent enquiry I made they're not available at the moment.

How much it costs depends on how much work it is to adapt the existing guitar - it can be fairly easy if you're lucky, or involve extensive routing and buggering about if you're not...

One of the ones I did that turned out to be quite easy was @Moe_Zambeek 's Reverend Reeves Gabrels, which I think he's still selling, if that's of interest.
    Mine is indeed for sale, though that's not down to the Sustainiac, which is (as others have mentioned) a lot of fun, especially with a trem and a huge amount of fuzz :)

@ICBM did a pretty much factory install on mine, in fact it's cleaner than the recent Reverend factory version because they routed a battery box for theirs, whereas the battery actually fits under the existing control plate quite nicely.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11769
    tFB Trader
    Yup - I like the Sustainiac  system, but have resisted getting stock while the £ is so poor against the dollar  as it means they would just cost so darn much.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4179
    A schecter Nikki Stringfield signature has one in. 
  • Most schecters have a version with a sustainiac.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Most schecters have a version with a sustainiac.
    Oooo, the Sun Valley Super Shredder in dayglo yellow/green looks suitably subtle 
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1376
    I got one installed by Steel Custom Guitars a few years back, looking at what I paid back then the price he charges looks to be unchanged. I was happy with the work.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    Most schecters have a version with a sustainiac.
    Oooo, the Sun Valley Super Shredder in dayglo yellow/green looks suitably subtle 
    GAK have got a b-stock one as well. You could fix the damage with a highlighter pen, no-one would ever know :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• hasslehamhassleham Frets: 627
    I had a cheap Fernandes with a sustainer in which was a decent guitar for the price! Lots of fun
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I got one installed by Steel Custom Guitars a few years back, looking at what I paid back then the price he charges looks to be unchanged. I was happy with the work.
    Thanks, I’ll check them out.