Help me with info and a value for this PRS.. please?!

What's Hot
harrisonlg81harrisonlg81 Frets: 232
edited June 2020 in Guitar
I’ve been asked to sell this for a friend who’s inherited it and I must confess I know nothing about PRS guitars. Hoping someone may be able to shed some light on what model it is, how old it is and roughly how much he should be asking for it. Looks like a solid rosewood neck if that makes much difference.

Unfortunately these are the only photos I’ve got so far until I go and have a look at it on Sunday. He assured me there’s a hardcase and “papers” in it.

thanks in advance oh knowledgable ones...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    The paperwork and tags should tell you - if he can send a pic of that, it will list the model, neck shape, pickups etc.

The serial number is an odd one with the 8  so someone more knowledge can decode that - could be a reference to the neck?   But the 13 and hollow birds would give as a 2013 custom 22 non 10 top  so it's likely to have a wide fat neck with hfs and vb pickups but you would need to see the paperwork or guitar to know for sure.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    2008 Custom 22 in Tortoiseshell Brown.

All rosewood neck adds considerably to value. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12056
    Email PRS with the back of the headstock and they can tell you pretty quick.

custserv@prsguitars.com

I haven’t seen a Prs with the j bird inlays that early.  I thought they came in a few years later 
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860

I imagine £1,800 region. I sold a Custom 22 Artist package with rosewood neck for that last year - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/146400/sold-prs-custom-22-2008-with-rosewood-neck-10-top-artist-pack-1-799#latest

Just sold a McCarty (also non-10) with rosewood neck for about the same. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • YoggieYoggie Frets: 5
    FYI there was a 2007 version sold on eBay for auction price of £1351. Exact same finish serial number started 116 so that one def 2008.  The one on eBay was stoptail and didn’t have the rosewood neck so you can add a bit on for that. 

It was originally on for £1650 which I thought was a bit steep but sold under best offer so no idea what it went for. A couple of weeks later the guy who bought it relisted it for auction. I would have tried bidding and bought it for around the final selling price. However when I asked why he was selling it I never got an answer. I’ve been wanting to try one for a while but not in a rush. Rather than risking it and the hassle and cost of returning I let it go.

hope that helps
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253
    John_P said:

I haven’t seen a Prs with the j bird inlays that early.  I thought they came in a few years later 
    Nope, introduced in 2008. The DGT was a 2007 model, but only a few were produced with “old” birds before J birds became the norm for a while.

@Funkfingers is spot on. It’s likely a wide/fat neck profile (most RW models I’ve seen are), and should have Dragon II pickups unless it was a special order or modified later.

The spec’s nice though, and should be a relatively straightforward sale for £1,600-1,800

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    Funkfingers is spot on. 
    Not really. I took a semi-educated guess and posted quickly in hopes of replying before ICBM for once. ;)

Later, tried to check my facts in a Japanese book but that turned out to have been published in 2007. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:

Nope, introduced in 2008. The DGT was a 2007 model, but only a few were produced with “old” birds before J birds became the norm for a while.

@Funkfingers is spot on. It’s likely a wide/fat neck profile (most RW models I’ve seen are), and should have Dragon II pickups unless it was a special order or modified later.

The spec’s nice though, and should be a relatively straightforward sale for £1,600-1,800

Ah that makes sense I bought new guitar is 2007 and 2012 so pre and post the introduction of j birds, but I've only had newer and older ones since.   I actually like the 20th anniversary bird pattern better, it's a shame that hasn't been done since.    
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253
    @John_P the shadow birds? They were pretty nice, but I think they might have been the first to use corian as an inlay material so a lot of people turned their noses up at them. The neck binding (on a PRS) was surprisingly dividing too! My personal favourites are either the brushstroke inlays from the Paul’s Guitar, or the Celtic Knot ones.