Julian Lage - Live at The Blue Whale

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14013
edited June 2020 in Guitar
An old Tele and Tweed Champ and superb playing. I really enjoyed this and love the tones. he has a lot of Jim Campilongo in his playing, with lilting gentle vibrato but not as quirky:

Extra clip from Layman Drug Company:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IsambardKentuckyIsambardKentucky Frets: 159
    edited June 2020
    Monster player, and humble to boot. I don't see these albums talked about too much - but the recordings with Frissell and Gyan Riley released on Tzadik as part of John Zorn's projects are well worth a listen - https://www.tzadik.com/ Virtue and Nove Cantici Per Francesco D’Assisi are my favs! There's even some metal on Insurrection.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14013
    edited June 2020
    In the Layman Drug Co. video whey they play 'Rodger The Dodger', does anyone know what the metal tube thing is on the drum kit Kenny Wollesen is playing? Looks like a flask with a horn on the end and it has a spring!
    I've never seen anything like this before:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
    Always a joy to watch and listen to. Seen him twice live now too. I'm a huge fan of Campilongo also. 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2685
    Fantastic player, a joy to see live and listen to, and every time I watch one of his videos there's something I want to try in my own inept way. There are some great masterclass / tutorial videos on YouTube, well worth watching as his advice is excellent.

What I've been liking recently are these short improvisations he did for Carter Vintage Guitars - you know the score, get a guitarist in to do noodling on your expensive vintage guitars in hopes it inspires someone to buy it. Except up a notch, I think. And on some apparently out-of-character guitars, too. At least now I know it's really the player and not the instrument, which will save me a lot of money and disappointment in the long run, I think. 

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2685
    Oh, and that intro to I'll Be Seeing You is amazing, I've spent lots of time with it. Not sure how much the wiser I've ended up, but it was lots of fun looking. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    Not an old Tele. A build.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    rze99 said:
    Not an old Tele. A build.

I thought it was a vintage ‘54 that had been refinished a couple of times? The fact he has the pickup selector in the middle for the neck pickup suggests it's vintage correct wiring.

Julian Lage seems to think so:

“Julian Lage: Right, right! It’s a ’54 Tele that I think went back for a [factory] refinish in ’57. I got it from Paul McKenzie, from Fiesta Finishes in Berkeley, California, and he had just refinished it. As a guitarist you know that those are kind of untouchable, usually, as far buying them, or finding them at a reasonable price, but because it had two refinishes it wasn’t exactly “stock.” The pickups and everything else is original, it’s just been painted a couple times.”

But...the Tele' in the Layman & Blue What videos look like different guitars, or at least have different finishes. I think the guitar in the Blue Whale videos is his refin '54 and the Layman video is his Nachocaster

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    In the Layman Drug Co. video whey they play 'Rodger The Dodger', does anyone know what the metal tube thing is on the drum kit Kenny Wollesen is playing? Looks like a flask with a horn on the end and it has a spring!
    I've never seen anything like this before:

That looks like an old Brazilian reco-reco. Mainly used in samba.
    cbellanga said:
    I've never seen anything like this before

That looks like an old Brazilian reco-reco. Mainly used in samba.
    Thanks. It does indeed, just Googled it and never heard of such a thing before, we live and learn.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Masterful player for sure. 
  • BradBrad Frets: 676
    A study in dynamic control and contrast right there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    Lage has three recent live stream masterclasses available to watch for $15 each. Bill Frisell is a guest on the second and Christopher Guest on the third.
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    The Blue Whale performances are available as part of an EP 'Julian Lage: Live in Los Angeles'. On iTunes and Spotify.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7901
    edited June 2020
    I saw him live twice, once at the time of Sounding Point with his full group and old acoustic L5. The tone and vibe were wonderful. I was blown away by him and his percussionist.

The second time was after Modern Lore came out. I dig Arclight and the tele vibe but the pace of the playing around this time was too frenetic and the dissonant parts turned me off, like he got bored of the melodic slower tunes. It was Camden and sweaty so maybe he felt that was in keeping. As you can guess I dont enjoy the Fred Hirsch/Nels Cline collabs.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
    I saw him live twice, once at the time of Sounding Point with his full group and old acoustic L5. The tone and vibe were wonderful. I was blown away by him and his percussionist.

The second time was after Modern Lore came out. I dig Arclight and the tele vibe but the pace of the playing around this time was too frenetic and the dissonant parts turned me off, like he got bored of the melodic slower tunes. It was Camden and sweaty so maybe he felt that was in keeping. As you can guess I dont enjoy the Fred Hirsch/Nels Cline collabs.
    You probably won't like the more recent Campilongo either if dissonant isn't your thing. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    I absolutely love the collabs with Nels Cline, especially the most recent Nels Cline 4 album. Absolutely top. It's this stuff that turned me on to Lage. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1652
    An old Tele and Tweed Champ and superb playing. I really enjoyed this and love the tones. he has a lot of Jim Campilongo in his playing, with lilting gentle vibrato but not as quirky:

Extra clip from Layman Drug Company:

I bought a Tweed Champ because of these videos.

unfortunately I did not figure into it the fact I can’t play for shit compared to Julian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    shaunm said:

I bought a Tweed Champ because of these videos.

unfortunately I did not figure into it the fact I can’t play for shit compared to Julian.
    I know, watching these has got me gassing for a tweed Champ as well!

Stevie Flynn at Flynn Amps from Glasgow makes one but it's £900 which looks to be about the going rate for a high quality clone. I'm tempted but resisting so far...

• arayadisarayadis Frets: 47
    He is an amazing guitar player. A great example of the tone is really in the hands :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom