What’s the problem with this....

What's Hot
BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100

This jack appeared to be faulty - when touched or moved it made a lot of noise. 

As a very unenthusiastic amateur solderer I was hoping to see something very obvious to bodge up but I have no idea with this. Any advice gratefully received. 

Ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7128
    tFB Trader
    Your soldering looks fine. There may be a break in the cable. Cut two or three inches off and resolder it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I always solder wires to the outside of the tags. Stops them shorting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    To be clear, I haven’t soldered this. I’ve just pulled it apart hoping to see something hanging loose. If I solder anything, trust me, it will be blatantly obvious. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73086
    The plug looks like it has a loose centre rivet so the conductors aren't held tightly together - there's a gap between the ground strip and the threaded barrel part. That will definitely cause crackling and intermittent hum when you move the plug.

If you can be bothered, try using a punch to flatten the copper rivet down and pull everything tightly together. If you can't, bin it and use a decent quality plug...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    edited June 2020
    Beaten to it AGAIN!  :3

Did anything fall out when you unscrewed the outer shell of the plug?

That copper coloured bit between the two soldering terminals is all that is holding the tip contact into the barrel. It does not look very robust. 

I agree with the suggestion to lop the end off, strip the insulation and resolder the conductor and screen wires to the plug.

To be frank, the plug in your photograph is nothing special. It might be worth buying something better.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    @ICBM @Funkfingers ;Thanks I will see if I can punch the copper rivet down first, if not I will have a go at soldering a new plug - anything in particular ?
    Interesting the plug is not up to much as the lead is a Vovox Sonorus so I expected it to be top notch considering the price. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    The high purity copper wire is where most of the money goes. IMO, it deserves a more robust jack plug. My preference would be a Neutrik NP2X.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3177
    edited June 2020
    Have to say the standard of the wire stripping is very amateur , I’m assuming @Barrivee stripped some of the outer covering off but the strip on the hot isn’t what I would expect on a pro cable. As to why they’ve used inferior jack plugs is beyond me, especially on a £70 cable. replace with neutrik immediately 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73086
    I assumed that was some piece of junk £5 cable... because it certainly looks like one.

Any ‘top notch’ cable that doesn’t use Neutrik plugs, or at the very minimum Switchcrafts, is not worth the money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

maltingsaudio said:
    Have to say the standard of the wire stripping is very amateur , I’m assuming @Barrivee stripped some of the outer covering off but the strip on the hot isn’t what I would expect on a pro cable. 

I pulled off the Orange heat shrink which looks a mess but the rest is as it was. 

ICBM said:
    I assumed that was some piece of junk £5 cable... because it certainly looks like one.

TBH I can’t hear any difference between the Vovox and my Whirlwind Leaders. 

I’ll try a Neutrik on it - watch this space for a “show us your comedy soldering” thread.