P90 wire length help

Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
Hi.  I just bought a pair of used Fralin P90s.  I didn’t ask about wire length and now I have them I see that the neck pickup wire is absurdly too short (it’s 15.5cm and I need at least 25 or 30).

Can the braided wire on P90s be extended (if I buy some of the braided wire) or this a write off as at as my guitar is concerned?  

Thanks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7128
    tFB Trader
    Yes it can be extended. Join the inner wire and insulate with heatshrink tubing. Then push back the braid of your new length of wire so that its diameter expands and you can push it over the join. You can then solder it in place, pull tight again and have an unbroken shield.

It can probably be replaced just as easily though which is what I'd do.
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    Thanks @SteveRobinson.  Yes, sound a faff.  I should return them (Reverb) but it’s my fault for not asking about wire length.  Why anyone cuts them so short is beyond me though...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    IMO, it is actually easier to replace the cable entirely than lash up on the end of the original.

Furthermore, it might be worth getting 2-con + shield cable. That way, you give yourself the options of phase reversal and series interconnection between two pickups.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    That is a good idea @Funkfingers.  Does sound like I need to find a pickup tech.  That said, by the time I’ve done that, I could have bought brand new!  Hmmmm