NTD (Guild Custom Shop content)

EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 645
edited January 2023 in Guitar
New Trem Day for me! My wife got me a Duesenberg Les Trem II for my birthday a few days ago and I just got around to fitting it. I like subtle trem systems but was reticent to modify my guitar for installation in case I want to reverse the mod in future, so this is perfect as it just screws directly into the existing bridge holes.

The guitar is a USA Guild Custom Shop Bluesbird. Lovely instrument with a quilted mahogany top, body is chambered, nitro finish. I got it to try and cop that Les Paul P90 thing but it has its own sound in truth.

Full review of the Les Trem to follow, I've only had chance to try it unplugged for now as the baby is asleep.

Before

After
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Thats a very brown guitar you have there sir.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 222
    Those Bluebirds are genuinely brilliant, awesome guitar man
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    That's very nice!
    Call me Dave.
  • Neat and tidy.  :)
  • grayngrayn Frets: 934
    Guitar and trem look really great.
    Congrats.
  • Interesting trem, looks super cool! 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2714
    beautiful
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 645
    Thanks all. Been having a good old wiggle and to be totally honest I found tuning stability to be a bit of an issue to start with, however I seem to have got the hang of it now. Some nut sauce in the nut slots and bridge saddles helped a lot. Strings were new on as well, so took some time to stretch out.

The unit creates no noticeable loss of sustain or colouration of the tone that I could detect. Added a fair bit of weight to the guitar, which isn't an issue as it's quite light due to the chambering. Not sure I'll keep it on forever, but the beauty of the design is it is so easy to swap in and out. Might try it on one of the Les Pauls in the future.

Overall a very happy customer, and most importantly it got me lost in playing for the first time in a long time.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4307
    That guitar is really nice, but the tin-opener is very upsetting..