Where to get to play an N4?

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 673
Always liked the look of them, the spec of them, the general design of them, never able to justify the cost of one and have never played one.
If, hypothetically, the money were to be available, where might one actually TRY one? They come up very infrequently in the market and I'm not going to waste a seller's time just giving it a try. And way too much cash to buy unseen.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7303
    They’re great guitars - the most comfortable neck I’ve ever played, and unparalleled upper fret access - but very niche.  As far as I’m aware, they’re not held new in stock by any UK stores; anyone selling them is just ‘available to order’.

Your best bet would be to find a nearby FB member who has one and doesn’t mind letting you have a crack on it.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 673
    yes, thats what im hoping for. iso-lockdown-olation allowing of course....
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27106
    Where are you based?
    <space for hire>
    Derby
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23750
    Nuno's house?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7214
    edited July 2020
    GuitarGuitar had some a while back, but I haven't seen any recently. I had a '90s one and I would say that the neck is a bit too small for me, but it isn't flat like an Ibanez etc

The body on them is tiny and it felt a bit too small for me. Nice guitar, but very over-hyped for what it is. Works for Nuno though, but most players I have seen using one don't have his feel or tone, so it is wasted on them.

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    darius said:
    Derby
    Well, when lockdown's over, you could head over to mine if you're in the Peterborough area. Mine isn't a standard N4, though - it's the matte green one (including the back of the neck).
    <space for hire>
  • ColsCols Frets: 7303
    stonevibe said:
    GuitarGuitar had some a while back, but I haven't seen any recently. I had a '90s one and I would say that the neck is a bit too small for me, but it isn't flat like an Ibanez etc

The body on them is tiny and it felt a bit too small for me. Nice guitar, but very over-hyped for what it is. Works for Nuno though, but most players I have seen using one don't have his feel or tone, so it is wasted on them.
    Later specs had a larger neck, I believe.

It does have an intentionally small body; Nuno’s not a big guy.  I’m only 5’8”, so it’s perfect for me.  If you’re a strapping 6 footer it may feel like a toy.

I’m down in Surrey; bit of a trek from Derby I’m afraid.
    stonevibe said:

Not really - they're a very unique kind of guitar. And not everybody who buys one is trying to be Nuno...I actually bought one based on the neck joint, and then became a Nuno fan.
    <space for hire>
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    stonevibe said:

Not really - they're a very unique kind of guitar. And not everybody who buys one is trying to be Nuno...I actually bought one based on the neck joint, and then became a Nuno fan.

I've never understood why that neck joint isn't more common
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

edited July 2020
    stonevibe said:

I've never understood why that neck joint isn't more common
    Mainly because it's very, very hard to get right. The tolerances are much finer than in a normal neck joint, even down to the diameter of the bolt holes in the body - if they're even slightly too big, the neck will almost certainly rotate in the pocket, which can't happen with a normal neck joint, and then you've got intonation issues as well as alignment issues to deal with.

The other problem that can occur with them is that you get an "S" bend in the neck itself, above the 12th fret, because of the asymmetrical shape of the wood and how it reacts to moisture (or so I've been told).

This difficulty is the main reason they were only really available from the Washburn Custom Shop - it was too difficult to get the consistency required from a production line at low cost. The N24, N61 and Parallaxe models all struggled with these issues (apart from the set-neck Parallaxe ones).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @digitalscream it must be at least doweled in for some antirotation feature surely?
    i had not heard about any of those issues you mention. 

All the above is confirmation that one needs to try one to like or not like.
    darius said:
    @digitalscream it must be at least doweled in for some antirotation feature surely?
    i had not heard about any of those issues you mention. 

All the above is confirmation that one needs to try one to like or not like.
    No, the necks are just bolted on. Those issues are actually quite well-known in the Washburn Nx community (yeah, we're a bit rabid). They're rare in Custom Shop Washburns, but known in the cheaper ones - and when other luthiers have had a go at that joint.

I even had a go at it myself, and...let's just say the end result needed "correction". It's definitely not easy to get it right.
    <space for hire>