Misrepresentative marketing from GAK

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    The video is an advertising puff piece. It did its job as you immediately wanted to buy the guitar. It's not as if the sound is dubbed to appear as if it's coming from that guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    WezV said:
    Trude said:
    Another way of looking at it - maybe they knocked the video together this way because of time constraints (say they didn't have any of their normal demo players in that day, or maybe they were demoing other stuff at the time and they couldn't fit it in). 

If they had decided not to do the video and wait until they had a chance to do it "properly" then you might not have become aware of the guitar at all, and could have missed out on the chance to grab what looks like an awesome instrument.  I'd call that a win.
    I agree, its likely a decision they have taken based on:
    A) having to do this type of video for a lot of guitars
    B) needing some sound to go along with the visual representation
    C) not understanding why it might be important, or even misleading, to the buyer.

Also, At what point during the making of a video would the guitar become "ex-demo" rather than "new"?
    I think when you're selling anything to anyone which costs over £4,000 you ought to take as much care as possible and go the extra mile to sell it in the best way possible, showing as much respect for the customer as you can (I think you should do this anyway though).  In addition, if you're a prominent musical instrument retailer priding yourself on your experience and service etc., not understanding why it might be important, or even misleading, to the buyer, really doesn't wash at all and looks terrible imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    edited July 2020
    stonevibe said:
    I don't get why musicians buy guitars online when spending thousands on one instrument. It doesn't make much sense, if you want an instrument for its sound, surely you would go and play it?

I get it, if you just want a certain look though.
    I makes perfect sense. A 335 mile round trip and a brief play through a shop amp vs a courier delivery and 14 day returns window played through your own rig. What has price go to do with it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2958
    edited July 2020
    Those calling for compensation, what for?! If you were disappointed because it doesn't sound as muddy and bland as in that promo video then fair enough I suppose but if you're happy with it...

To give the marketing guys the benefit of the doubt maybe they were asked to rush this out and didn't have time/facility to record any clips of the actual guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    thebreeze said:
    WezV said:
    Trude said:
    Another way of looking at it - maybe they knocked the video together this way because of time constraints (say they didn't have any of their normal demo players in that day, or maybe they were demoing other stuff at the time and they couldn't fit it in). 

If they had decided not to do the video and wait until they had a chance to do it "properly" then you might not have become aware of the guitar at all, and could have missed out on the chance to grab what looks like an awesome instrument.  I'd call that a win.
    I agree, its likely a decision they have taken based on:
    A) having to do this type of video for a lot of guitars
    B) needing some sound to go along with the visual representation
    C) not understanding why it might be important, or even misleading, to the buyer.

Also, At what point during the making of a video would the guitar become "ex-demo" rather than "new"?
    I think when you're selling anything to anyone which costs over £4,000 you ought to take as much care as possible and go the extra mile to sell it in the best way possible, showing as much respect for the customer as you can (I think you should do this anyway though).  In addition, if you're a prominent musical instrument retailer priding yourself on your experience and service etc., not understanding why it might be important, or even misleading, to the buyer, really doesn't wash at all and looks terrible imho.
    maybe so, but how long have retailers been doing videos like this for individual guitars they have for sale?   it feels like a relatively new idea to me.  They probably saw others doing it and thought they should offer similar     

Its a learning curve and I am sure they will take the feedback on board
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7214
    stonevibe said:
    I don't get why musicians buy guitars online when spending thousands on one instrument. It doesn't make much sense, if you want an instrument for its sound, surely you would go and play it?

I get it, if you just want a certain look though.
    I makes perfect sense. A 335 mile round trip and a brief play through a shop amp vs a courier delivery and 14 day returns window played through your own rig. What has price go to do with it?
    Because, you can hear and feel what a whole bunch of guitars play and sound like in one trip. So you can A/B two, three or more instruments that are the same model, that is why I would do the journey.

I'd make the trip if it was an instrument I needed for a specific sound. Most shops also have an area with great amps you can play though as well. I have even taken my own amp into stores before as well, but I get you may not want to lug a large heavy amp.

I just think if you rely on YouTube audio for instruments then you will never get the real feel of an instrument.

Money/Price is something I would also take into account, as I will take a punt on certain items, for instance used gear is often one I will take a gamble with, if it is no longer in production for example.

But new Fender / Gibson / etc CS guitars, I'd want to play it and A/B it against similar models before I parted with any cash. 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    It doesn’t envoke consumer confidence when you hear this on the back of the recent CMA fine but it could just be a genuine error.  Their product videos are far less inconsistent than Peach’s.  

Here’s a JM JAG video from 7 years ago where the actual guitar gets played after 3 minutes.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdOK0U1MNRs

Here’s a relatively recent video for a CS Esquire. I’m not sure the internet needs any more of videos like this but at least it’s the actual guitar...

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-custom-shop-59-esquire-dirty-white-blonde/917000

I think the Esquire is a 2018 model (Resolution of the cert photo isn’t too clear on my iPad).  The price on this guitar has jumped around a lot in the last few years,peaking at c.3k in line with the market rate and dropping as low as c.2399 on a Black Friday deal a few years ago. It dropped to its current price a few days ago after the CMA announcement. Anyway,pricing ramble aside the guitar is still for sale so their marketing dept are not doing a good job of making people want to buy it.  I was interested in this guitar but there are too many red flags for me now (Gak’s pricing practices, Gak’s marketing practices, the guitar not being sold over a few years suggesting it’s potentially a dog....).

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    pmg said:
    It doesn’t envoke consumer confidence when you hear this on the back of the recent CMA fine but it could just be a genuine error.  Their product videos are far less inconsistent than Peach’s.  

Here’s a JM JAG video from 7 years ago where the actual guitar gets played after 3 minutes.  

Here’s a relatively recent video for a CS Esquire. I’m not sure the internet needs any more of videos like this but at least it’s the actual guitar...

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-custom-shop-59-esquire-dirty-white-blonde/917000

I think the Esquire is a 2018 model (Resolution of the cert photo isn’t too clear on my iPad).  The price on this guitar has jumped around a lot in the last few years,peaking at c.3k in line with the market rate and dropping as low as c.2399 on a Black Friday deal a few years ago. It dropped to its current price a few days ago after the CMA announcement. Anyway,pricing ramble aside the guitar is still for sale so their marketing dept are not doing a good job of making people want to buy it.  I was interested in this guitar but there are too many red flags for me now (Gak’s pricing practices, Gak’s marketing practices, the guitar not being sold over a few years suggesting it’s potentially a dog....).

Dirty white? Looks pink to me...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Out of interest @RandallFlagg how did you reply to Alex's response? 
    edited July 2020
    Out of interest @RandallFlagg how did you reply to Alex's response? 
    I told him that me & the East End lads will be round in the Jag with the sawn-off shooters to sort it out.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 584
    I'm on the side of cheeky at best, lazy, in the middle, and poor at worst. I've spent a lot at GAK and had great service. In fact I always use them over another large UK store if |I can. Used to live in Brighton so enjoyed spending too much time, and money there.  

Lots of grey areas to live in and hairs to split should someone chose to do so. 

Thanks for sharing.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Injured Veteran and head injury survivor. Bouts of grumpy behavior and brutal humor are to be expected.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23750
    stonevibe said:
    I just think if you rely on YouTube audio for instruments then you will never get the real feel of an instrument.

I'm quoting one bit of a much longer post, but I think that's a key question in this whole discussion.  IS anyone, honestly, relying on YouTube audio as the basis for buying an instrument?

I enjoy watching Greg Koch's videos on the Wildwood site but I wouldn't buy a guitar based on how they sound in those clips.  I actually think he makes them sound a bit shit, especially when he demos Gibsons - they're always too bright and harsh.  But I know they'd sound completely different if I played them (better, to my mind, although the playing would be a whole hell of a lot worse....)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Schnozz said:
    You paid £4k for a Tele?
    Yes, well a bit more in actual fact. Is that a problem?
    Good lad ! That £250k fine needs paying ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    Hattigol said:
    pmg said:

Dirty white? Looks pink to me...
    Me too
  • NorthernGoonerNorthernGooner Frets: 183
    edited July 2020
    I told him that me & the East End lads will be round in the Jag with the sawn-off shooters to sort it out.
    You're Graham Greene and I claim my £5 and stick of 'Brighton Rock'    
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2045
    Schnozz said:
    You paid £4k for a Tele?
    All dem starving Welsh kids and you spend £4k...on a Tele...
    Schnozz said:
    Schnozz said:
    You paid £4k for a Tele?
    I wouldn't give them the steam off my piss.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

You're Graham Greene and I claim my £5 and stick of 'Brighton Rock'    
    Maybe, but I did get a short one line reply from Alex at GAK "you can suck my Brighton c*ck"

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmg said:

May have just not sold as it's a toploader. It's a turn off for some - not sure why. Also some looking for a tele want it to say telecaster on the headstock not esquire.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2045
    Schnozz said:
    Schnozz said:
    You paid £4k for a Tele?
    I wouldn't give them the steam off my piss.
     :'(