Bridge PU height adjustment

surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
I have a Heritage 535 which has just had a new set of Seth Lovers fitted to replace the SD 59s which just didn't suit the guitar.

I have set the guitar up and also adjusted the pickup height as I would normally do but although I have the neck PU set perfectly the bridge is just a touch brighter than I am used to.  I have dropped the height of the bridge PU a little lower than I would normally do and other than loosing a little volume it doesn't seem to have taken the edge off the tone.  To be honest didn't expect it to but was hoping it might. 

Wasn't sure if reducing the bridge PU lower again would make any difference to tone or whether winding down the pole pieces might make a difference?  Any ideas/advice would be welcomed! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    SD Seth covers are not filled with wax. They will/should seem shrill compared to the SH-1 ‘59 units. That is what early Gibson Les Pauls sound like.

My suggestion is to raise the pickup back to the height that you tried first. Roll the tone control down a bit.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    SD Seth covers are not filled with wax. They will/should seem shrill compared to the SH-1 ‘59 units. That is what early Gibson Les Pauls sound like.

My suggestion is to raise the pickup back to the height that you tried first. Roll the tone control down a bit.
    Agreed, I have unpotted Custombuckers in my SG and it is surprising how much more open and lively they sound compared to the wax potted custombuckers I had been used to. 

I really like them now and have an unpotted Seth Lover in my new Tele which I also really like.

As said, I set the amp to suit the neck pickup on my SG and just wind the tone control back a bit on the bridge pickup.

• surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133

Aha, I had no idea they were unpotted, so that really does make sense.  It's not harsh or unpleasant but just isn't what I'm used to on a semi.

I will indeed re-adjust the pickup height back up to where it should be.  I have been rolling off the tone on the guitar A LOT to compensate, and indeed on the amp too, but when rolling tone back on the amp it affects the neck as well so much better just to stick with the bridge tone control.

Really appreciate the excellent advice and the nod re it being unpotted.  :)  

RandallFlagg said:

Agreed, I have unpotted Custombuckers in my SG and it is surprising how much more open and lively they sound compared to the wax potted custombuckers I had been used to. 

I really like them now and have an unpotted Seth Lover in my new Tele which I also really like.

As said, I set the amp to suit the neck pickup on my SG and just wind the tone control back a bit on the bridge pickup.
    Totally agree.....the pickups sound amazingly alive.  I'm using a custom made bluesbraker head and once the signal starts breaking up it sounds extraordinary.  So much more organic (can't think of another word) than the 59s or the Classic 57s I've been used to in 335s.

I reckon a Seth Lover in the neck on a tele would sound wonderful.  The tone of the neck is just unreal and I find I'm using the neck much, MUCH more than I used to before.  Also using the middle position too, which I rarely ever used before.

Likewise, thanks for the excellent advice!  :)