Mystery vintage restoration pickups - can you help identify the winder?

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
I bought a used Tele parts build a while back. Great pickups. This card insert was in the case. Who made them?

pickupsjpg
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    Vintage Restorations is the brand name.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    Thanks. Yes. But the only “Vintage Restorations”‘I can find in line are Gord Millar’s brand (Canada) and he has said it’s not his work. Still a mystery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     Bump. No one has any intell?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30321
    Antique pickups?
    I wonder which century they're from.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2427
    edited July 2020
    No. I think it's the potting wax that's antique.....

:-)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2459
    rze99 said:
    You asked the same question a year back on the TDPRI.....no one knew there either. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    Whatever they are, the maker is clearly no longer in business, at least under that name.

But given the amount of information you have about them it would be possible for someone like @OilCityPickups to copy them - even more so if they could be examined closely - if they sound particularly good and you want more of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Probably this is a set of only a handful of pickups made by someone who then gave up. It seems unlikely you'll discover anything particularly incredible, or you would have found out by now surely.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1814
    edited July 2020
    I did a quick google dive and look through all my old bookmarks and to be honest nothing comes up. 
    Back in the early 2000's I was out of work and did a load of work winding pickup prototypes and learning the ropes with the intention of starting a new venture, other offers came along and frankly, I  was very grateful they did. I have the greatest admiration for the likes of Ash and others who do that job day in day out which after 3 months of prototyping and building I was completely done with it really not my thing in the long term. 

Anyway, my point was I collected loads of links and info on companies that opened up over the ensuing years just to see what people came up with and who had some really innovative USP etc. At one point people winding pickups from kits and stuff were everywhere all over eBay and 3-page websites and things so unless anyone actually knows the guy who made them I imagine it was what was literally 100's at one point of eBay sellers doing the homemade pickup thing usually trying hard to sell people on the past was better.

As said if they are really amazing you can always get Ash or one of the good guys here to clone them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Strat54 said:
    rze99 said:
    You asked the same question a year back on the TDPRI.....no one knew there either. 
    Yep, that's correct. I don't like giving up.
    edited July 2020
    From what Jez says, you may as well give up - probably built be John Smith in a shed at Southend....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    rze99 said:

I don't like giving up.
    Nor should you. Just don't expect it to be a quick or easy search if it's something obscure from before the internet.

I eventually found out what my first-ever guitar amp was - the name badge was missing, and I only owned it briefly in 1985-86 - after about 25 years of looking on and off... when someone here asked about an identical one that was for sale, and I happened to see it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

all cool 

thanks for help and encouragement chaps