NGD - Suhr Classic Antique

EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 645
Purchased this from fellow forumite @vincechu89 (who was excellent to deal with) and arrived a couple of days ago. Despite UPS's best efforts to cave in the box, it arrived unscathed thanks to some excellent packaging from Vince.

Beautiful example of a Suhr Classic Antique HSS in what I believe was a limited edition 'Ocean Turquoise Metallic' finish. It's very lightly aged, but even so is a little more aged than I would like as I'm not usually into the faux wear thing. The thin nitro finish feels and looks great though.

Usual honeymoon period caveats apply, but I think it's a pretty remarkable guitar. It's the sort of instrument that really allows you to play your best. Wasn't sure how I'd get on with stainless steel frets but they feel great to me. Fairly chunky but very comfortable neck. Sounds lovely and stratty on the neck and in-between sounds, and even has a usable middle pickup which is a first for me. Bridge humbucker doesn't overwhelm the single coils and balances well.

I was vaguely exploring entering the Fender Custom Shop market when I spotted this. Maybe I still will at some stage but for now this scratches that particular itch.

Couple of rushed pictures below, which don't really capture the colour properly (it's a lot less blue and a lot more green in person).

As an aside, I was glad this came with a nice G&G hardcase rather than the gig bag. It always grates me a bit when you get >£2.5k guitars that don't even come with a proper case (with no disrespect intended to the quality of Suhr's gig bags, which I understand are excellent). Maybe I'm a product of my formative guitar years. When I was getting into guitar as a teenager you knew a guitar was a serious guitar if it came in a case and not just a gig bag. Also is there a better sound than when you open the clasps on a guitar hard case? Perhaps I'd feel differently if I gigged and needed to lug it around everywhere.

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    Jeez I love that colour.  Nice one. I think Suhr is in my future. Op
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    Glad you’re enjoying the Suhr! Btw I had to pay £120 extra to upgrade to the hard case, which was totally worth it, much better than the cases that come with the Fender CS guitars!

The HSS pickup arrangement and the pickups themselves are really versatile in that Suhr and the SS frets help make bends really easy and smooth in my view.

hope you have as much fun as I did with it and thanks for being a pleasure to deal with!
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Looks lovely. I also wonder why Suhr put a different colour pickup cover on the bumbuckers though
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1659
    Vaguely remember a quote from somewhere when John Suhr was asked about the different colour bridge pickup and he said they went with that because that was what was most requested on orders. Used to think it looked a bit out of place but kind of so used to it that I see it as their thing and changing it now would look wrong.

Looks lovely OP. Enjoy!
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 484
    Wow! That's stunning. Would love to try a Suhr one day.
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    That's a beauty.  I have a Suhr Modern and their guitars are just faultless.  Congrats.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 645
    Dan_Halen said:
    Vaguely remember a quote from somewhere when John Suhr was asked about the different colour bridge pickup and he said they went with that because that was what was most requested on orders. Used to think it looked a bit out of place but kind of so used to it that I see it as their thing and changing it now would look wrong.

Looks lovely OP. Enjoy!
    If I ever decide to change the bridge pickup I will probably go for something nickel-covered, as I think that would match better.
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Epsilon said:
    Dan_Halen said:

Looks lovely OP. Enjoy!
    If I ever decide to change the bridge pickup I will probably go for something nickel-covered, as I think that would match better.
    You could easily put a nickel cover on that pickup if you like the sound of it!
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 645
    Mickeyji said:
    Epsilon said:
    Dan_Halen said:

Looks lovely OP. Enjoy!
    You could easily put a nickel cover on that pickup if you like the sound of it!
    Presumably I'd need to get it wax potted?
  • That’s beautiful, I recently got a suhr myself and it’s so good I want another one which makes no sense and perfect sense at the same time!