Which guitar on which Zep track?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2958
    edited July 2020
    Heartbreaker is probably my favourite Page recorded tone, that has to be Les Paul? It sounds way fatter than his usual scratchy thin tele tone found all over LZ1.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    I don't think I like any of the recorded Led Zep tones much, I much prefer the live tone on How The West Was Won
    Wasn't some of HTWWW re amped anyway?.. I know some of the guitars (and vocals?) are flown in from different nights too. There's a Kevin Shirley interview where he talked about both as well as some audio fixes on "DVD". 

yes I think you're right from what I read but the tones on HTWWW are still my favourite of all Zep tones.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10778
    When I told Page I thought Outrider had some of his finest sounding music, he seemed really genuinely pleased. Just thought I’d chuck in that namedrop. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5011
    It's funny that playing a Tele sold so many Les Pauls!
  • ColsCols Frets: 7303
    TTBZ said:
    Heartbreaker is probably my favourite Page recorded tone, that has to be Les Paul? It sounds way fatter than his usual scratchy thin tele tone found all over LZ1.
    Heartbreaker’s a funny one; the unaccompanied solo was recorded entirely separately in a different studio, some after the rest of the song, and spliced in.

It’s a Les Paul for all of the song, but different amps.  For the main body of the song a terrible, terrible solid state amp called a Rickenbacker Transonic was used.  By the time the solo was recorded Page had switched to using the Marshall - this solo is one of the first things he ever played through a Marshall.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    edited July 2020
    Cols said:
    TTBZ said:
    Heartbreaker’s a funny one; the unaccompanied solo was recorded entirely separately in a different studio, some after the rest of the song, and spliced in.

It’s a Les Paul for all of the song, but different amps.  For the main body of the song a terrible, terrible solid state amp called a Rickenbacker Transonic was used.  By the time the solo was recorded Page had switched to using the Marshall - this solo is one of the first things he ever played through a Marshall.
    Heartbreaker has also apparently been quoted by Steve Vai as the thing that pushed him to try and learn the guitar. And I admit that also for me that was the start of my passion for that kind of music when my older brother brought LZII home. 

I think It’s a culmination of how the whole band sounds and is recorded. I think that’s one of the influential “heavy metal” blueprint....god awful lyrics but as I was born elsewhere I was blessed with ignorance around that bit!!

Extra credit needs to go to JPJ on how he fattens the sound up with his open strings doubling up and the groove he adds.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    viz said:
    When I told Page I thought Outrider had some of his finest sounding music, he seemed really genuinely pleased. Just thought I’d chuck in that namedrop. 
    Outrider’s the proverbial curate’s egg, but it’s got some lovely original instrumentals on it. Emerald Eyes for example. All sorts of guitars on that track, including the b bender Tele (Or Les Paul?) by the sound of it. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    Cols said:
    TTBZ said:

I think it's pretty well established that he was using the Vox UL head with the Transonic cabs on II.. I wasn't aware he'd recorded anything with the Rick heads (I don't mind if I'm wrong). In the Jan 91 issue of Guitar World Jimmy says that by the time they did Heartbreaker he'd "gotten hold of some Marshalls". The stems seem to bear this out but I can't be sure obviously. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Cols said:
    TTBZ said:

I think it's pretty well established that he was using the Vox UL head with the Transonic cabs on II.. I wasn't aware he'd recorded anything with the Rick heads (I don't mind if I'm wrong). In the Jan 91 issue of Guitar World Jimmy says that by the time they did Heartbreaker he'd "gotten hold of some Marshalls". The stems seem to bear this out but I can't be sure obviously. 
    You could be right; Olympic Studio shots from the recording of What Is And What Should Never Be show a Transonic cab amp with a Vox UL-4120 head on top.

The Transonics were a marriage of convenience; their manager had managed to blag them an endorsement deal for free use of them on the 1969 US tour.  Much of LZII was recorded on the road during this tour; I would be surprised if Page dragged his Vox head on tour with him.  Surely it wouldn’t work at US voltages?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11445
    Could you call an amp "Transonic" these days? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You’re right.  And the Peavey Transtube is downright offensive.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    edited July 2020
    Other threads:

My EHLZZ67 valves sound totally different when playing my hide-glue based guitars, especially now I have changed the pots from 500k to 250k.

This thread:

Is that a Tele or a Les Paul?

I love the Fretboard 

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom