NRSD !

What's Hot
DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
By which I do of course mean New, Relic'ed, Strat, Day !

Yayyyyyyy...

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/Strat Build/2014-06-24102525_zps2b27d5c0.jpg

I've had this guitar finished for a little while now and have actually been meaning to get round to posting up this thread but unfortunately I've been having some issues with uploading to my photobucket account from my Ipad, giving the truth to the lie that 'Apple, it just works'..

Anyway, to business

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/Strat Build/2014-06-24102543_zps10280b8d.jpg

This is the latest in the endless Partscaster Strat build that seems to perpetually roll on in the background.
It started in January when I bought the neck from @GSPBasses as part of his warehouse move sell off.
I originaly bought the neck because it had a 57mm heel and was ideal for a project I had where the body had a larger than Fender stadard 57mm neck pocket..

Upon getting my hands on the neck it was love at first grasp ! Slightly fatter than your generic Fender 'C' a real pleasing & characterful handful without being your full on baseball  with flawless build and a nicely rolled over fingerboard edge.
In fact I would say that the neck was not a million miles adrift of the neck on my Tyler which is 'The Neck By Which All Others Must Be Judged'

Of course the absurd thing is that I was so bowled over by the neck I decided it was far too nice for the intended recipient so I spoke to Graham about making a body for it....
He countered by telling me that he already had the body that was built to go with this neck and offered it to me for a real sweetheart of a price..

Only thing was it was already painted in Sunburst and I feckin' hate Sunburst...

To the point that normally, it would be a deal breaker

However given the sheer quality of the neck I was convinced that the body would be of equal quality and therefore silly good value for money given what Graham was asking for it and so a deal was struck with Graham agreeing to also do some additional routing & trem hole drilling for me so that I could jsut simply drop all of the hardware straight in when the time came.

But what to do about the finish ?

http://s526.photobucket.com/user/lorddonricci/library/Strat Build

A conversation with @Jookychap (who appears to be connected like DeNiro round these parts) led to contact with @lamf68 being made, so the neck & body were dispatched to Wales for him to work his magic on.
The pics don't really do it justice but I'm so chuffed with what Rich has achieved particularly as he battled through illness, the loss of his beloved dog, my constantly moving goalposts,and an original sunburst finish that reacted vioently to almost anything he tried to do to it !

He's laid an aged Oly White finish over the original burst and then cut back to reveal the burst underneath before adding addiitonal  wear to exactly my spec which was achieved as a consequence of a hell of a lot of pictures of old & relic'ed Oly White Fenders passing back & forth between us with 'like this one just here' or similar inane comments scrawled upon it..

Same for the neck, sprayed & then sanded back & aged it makes for an incredibly comfortable playing experience.

After Rich had finished with it it came back to me where I nailed on the full CP tremolo system from @AndyPWudtone including 1018 steel block, springs and Callaham saddles, the Mojo loaded mint green plate & Sperzels before going off to see Jonathan @Felineguitars where the fret whisperer himself went to work on it with a fret dress nut install & setup that culminates in the slick playing beast you see before you.

It's awesome, I'm very pleased..

I'll try and get some more detailed pics up soon.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I don't normally like relics but that looks excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Not my cuppa either but it looks well specced and nicely nailed together. Enjoy. ;)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    Thanks man, I am. I'd have to say that it's actually better at being a traditional Strat than the much vaunted Tyler. I do find my moody Gilmour & Gallagher impersonations sound significantly less shifty on this guitar..
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Shouldn't the jack plate/bridge etc look a bit...well less new and shiny?

That said I do have shocking Jazzmaster GAS at the minute. Especially Purple Jazzmaster GAS..

Oh lord
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Adam_MD said:
    I don't normally like relics but that looks excellent.
    Likewise; really nice.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Finished?

Really?

Never thought I'd live to see the day.

So you're flogging it then?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JookyChap said:
    Finished?

Really?

Never thought I'd live to see the day.

So you're flogging it then?
    Yes, No, Maybe...

Really want a Purple jazzmaster..
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Here you go squire... one purple Jazzmaster... according to my schoolboy maths thats 697 of the queen's heads...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    He has one of mine at the mo ....

My confidence and expectation levels have just taken another leap upwards !!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @impmann said:
    Here you go squire... one purple Jazzmaster... according to my schoolboy maths thats 697 of the queen's heads...

I love  the fact your link takes us to Becca Brooks admitting bribing coppers :)

@TTony, you are entirely justified in having verrry high expectations from Rich..
    One of the first things he ever said to me was
    'Rob, I can do pretty much anything with a spraygun'.

At the time, I must confess I thought 'You cocky f***er'.
    And then I saw it, and had to concede that on the evidence supplied he probably could !

@impmann, is that a Mascis you're linking too ? yeah I'm tempted but truth be told I think I'm gonna keep this Strat, I'd be a fool to sell it as it really is a bit special and I'd have a job finding something to best it.
    And of course as a bitsa I'd lose my shirt if I sold it..

However I am so impressed with it that I am  thinking of using the same team to assemble a relic'ed metalflake Purple Jazzmaster to my exact specs.

I figure Graham's Woodwork, Rich's Spraygun, Mojo's Pickups & a trip to Feline would give me another absolute beaut !
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Thanks @Jookychap I thought I corrected that!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

not_the_dj;275474" said:
    Shouldn't the jack plate/bridge etc look a bit...well less new and shiny?
    Yes they should, but I couldn't wait any longer to build it !

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    Nice :D
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2385
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader

@DrBob do not go down the page as your GAS for a Jazzmaster might get worst!

They might be Purple

But there not Purple 

But they could be Purple though

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/grahamepollard/Mobile Uploads/IMG_8918.jpg

These will be part of my clear out soon as I just about cleared all the T/C’s and LPJ DC’s. Its time to move on to some other type’s of guitars so Jazzmaster next there are only two and there not “B” grade but will be discounted, I might have one more in Alder some were but did not come to hand today.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sold !
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    DrBob said:
    Sold !

Yer a cheap tart you   ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    Yes, yes I am
    @GSPBASSES, in all seriousness Graham, I'm driving at the mo' but can I call dibs on one of these until we've spoken further please mate ?