Nylon strung semi acoustic for 16 yo - please advise!

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10778
edited July 2020 in Guitar
What do you recommend? Needs to have a cutaway and a strap for standing-up-folk-rock material. 
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Valencia Guitars are well made, quality sounding instruments that won't break the bank. I have a nylon strung model with a cutaway and a cedar top, its not a semi acoustic but I know they do them. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    Semi-acoustic or electro-acoustic? I’m guessing the latter.

There is an argument for investing in the best possible instrument you can afford and keeping it for life.

There is a counter-argument for buying something inexpensive but playable on the assumption that it is likely to be neglected, abused or stolen.

Brands such as Fender/Squier, LAG and Sigma make cutaway electro-acoustic guitars at reasonable prices.

My leftfield suggestion is the Godin Multiac range. These are available in nylon-strung form, with a built-in transducer AND, in the longer term, the capability to drive a synthesizer.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BradBrad Frets: 676
    A lot of choice out these days but I don’t think you can ever go wrong with Yamaha. Maybe keep your eye out for a used APX5NA. I got one dirt cheap a few years ago, decent enough electronics, strap button at the neck heel, so no need to faff with a shoe lace at the headstock end for attaching a strap. 

They replaced the APX5NA with the NTX and NCX a few years ago. NTX is the same shape as the APX whereas the NCX is a more traditional classical shape/dimensions. These are a step up from the old APX5NA and there is a ‘basic’ model through to more expensive, but I’m sure you could find either of these for a good price used too. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    drofluf said:
    Thanks @drofluf ;

Anyone is welcome to come and try the guitar in person if local. 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2679
    The Cort sounds like the guitar you're looking for. For the sake of completeness I'll mention that I have an Ovation 1867-AX - it's been discontinued, but if you are looking for a nylon string for this sort of purpose and one turns up second-hand, it's excellent, especially with the OP-PRO preamp. The tuner buttons are the only weak spot, weirdly, but everything else is great. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10778
    Thanks - does the cort have the ability to have a strap does anyone know?

in fact, I have a couple of electro acoustics (thanks @funkfingers!) without strap buttons - can I just screw one in?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3911
    viz said:

in fact, I have a couple of electro acoustics (thanks @funkfingers!) without strap buttons - can I just screw one in?
    Pretty sure it does, I no longer have my CEC-1 to check, and the images here https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?it_id=123#tab_Images seem to confirm. 
    drofluf said:
    viz said:

Pretty sure it does, I no longer have my CEC-1 to check, and the images here https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?it_id=123#tab_Images seem to confirm. 
    Ah, there it is! Sneaky!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    The Cort CEC-5 has a solid top and laminated back and sides. I’m not sure about the Yamaha AEX.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Thank you both :)