Anatomy of a Floyd rose

horsehorse Frets: 1597
I've got an early 90s Yamaha with a decent quality Floyd rose type trem.

On the low E, the fine tuner thumb screw pushes down correctly on the arm below (the part you turn to lock the string block in place), but if I then loosen that fine tuner the arm below doesn't move up with it.

I can physically push the arm back to where it should be, but I assume there must be an internal spring or something that is supposed to be pushing that arm up against the fine tuner?

Any ideas / is spraying some wd40 in likely to be a good idea or not?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    String tension is what opposes the fine tuner thumbwheel.

Time for a thorough cleaning, methinks. Maybe, even, strip the whole thing and check it all over.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    There are no springs in a Floyd (other than the ones that attach to the claw and block). Any failure to move will caused by dust and dirt in the mechanism. Time for a thorough clean. WD40 is good!
  • horsehorse Frets: 1597
    Great - thanks guys - much appreciated
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Yeah, I'd take it all apart if it was mine. Doesn't it have a bit of metal that acts as a spring? maybe it just needs bending a bit?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    Some do have a metal leaf/'finger' spring underneath the Allen bolt, but the string tension should still be enough to pull it up. If it doesn't, dirt or corrosion is jamming the pivot mechanism. If WD-40 doesn't fix it, you'll likely have to dismantle the pivot and clean it, which will mean driving out the pivot pin.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    If the OP guitar is an RGZ, its in-house FR-licensed vibrato is a single locking type with an unconventional string path. 

The ball ends are left on. Hence, there is the possibility of the wraps unravelling.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1597
    If the OP guitar is an RGZ, its in-house FR-licensed vibrato is a single locking type with an unconventional string path. 

The ball ends are left on. Hence, there is the possibility of the wraps unravelling.

Spot on - it is indeed an rgz, with strings via the term block a la strat