P90 installation question

Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
I’ve got a pair of hum cancelling Fralin P90s.

Does it matter which way round I put each pickup?  I can put them in one way, or rotate them 180 degrees.  Does it matter?

Reason for asking is that I have installed mine and the middle position sounds weak and nasally.  Like they are out of phase.

I can’t imagine spinning them around will matter, but thought I’d ask before I take everything apart and try it!

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7134
    tFB Trader
    Turning one 180° won't make any difference.

It does sound like they are out of phase though. Can you swap the wires over or are they braided cables?
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    I thought the rotation would be futile but it was worth checking.  Thanks @SteveRobinson ;

They are braided cables.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3333
    edited July 2020
    I had this on a Gibson LP special, turned out one of the wires needed to be insulated to prevent them working out of phase as it was shorting somewhere like the back of the vol pot -might be worth a try? 
    Edit: thinking about it that doesn’t make sense, must have shorted on insulation paint or the ground wire of the other pickup in the wiring channel.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    edited July 2020
    Treewig1 said:
    They are braided cables.
    If the pickups are both single-conductor with braided shield output cable, your only option is to invert both bar magnets in one of the pickups.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3333
    If the pickups are both single-conductor with braided shield output cable, your only option is to invert both bar magnets in one of the pickups.

That’s what you’d think, but that was exactly how my pickups were and how they were acting. Insulating one of those sleeves fixed it, took my mate who does this stuff a while to work out and even then he said it made no sense but he’d come across it on a forum somewhere. As I say, might be an easy try.
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    Thanks all. @Teyeplayer, I’ll give insulation a go.  Cheers