Would you rather buy a custom shop 1974 custom or a 1974 les Paul custom ?!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I’ve been GASing for a 1974 les Paul custom for some time now. a custom cos it’s my favourite guitar , and a 74 cos it’s my birth year . 

Ive never played one , but as we all know the internet is full of stories about the patchy nature of that era of Gibson guitars. 
I notice the custom shop made a 74 custom guitar a few years ago .

I wondered what the pros and cons were between buying an original 74 or it’s more modern equivalent?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    Difficult one, not least because they'll probably cost around the same. The newer version will likely be a bit lighter, but will lose value if you buy it new.

Old black guitars can sometimes look pretty gnarly, which may be a pro or a con, depending on your disposition.

I think you'll have to take each guitar on its merit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited July 2020
    Without wanting to offend anyone who has the Custom shop 74, I think it is one of the worst attempts I have seen from the custom shop in trying ton recreate something. They used an awful faux yellowed binding and headstock to try to recreate the natural ageing. If I was looking at a custom shop LPC with the maple cap, it would have to be the '68 reissue, which doesn't quite fit your brief.
    Regarding the internet talk about 70's customs, ignore it. There are some good solid (if heavy) Customs to be had from that era, played and aged just as it should be. I do wonder how much internet wisdom of the "Norlin sucks" variety is simply individuals repeating stuff they have read written by other individuals who have, themselves, little real experience of the guitars they are talking about. It should be remembered that a hell of a lot of classic stuff was recorded using Norlin era Gibsons 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    The original one every time. (Assuming there's nothing actually wrong with it.)

LP Customs are heavy - they just are, it's part of the vibe - but if anything, its the later 70s ones that are worse.

In total disagreement with almost everything you read online, I would rather have about 90% of all the Norlin-era Les Pauls I've ever played than about 90% of all the modern ones, including all the fancy "R" series and whatever - I think they're usually better-made, have better fretting and just ring in a way many modern ones don't. It is true that some have some undesirable features like 'pancake' bodies and less-'dished' top carves, but they still almost always just feel and sound better to me.

If you want a proper birth year guitar then a recent "1974" reissue - which is inaccurate in several ways anyway, as artiebear said - really isn't going to give you the same feeling.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1510
    I have an original 1970 custom and back in the mid-70's I had a 72 Custom that was a great guitar, but I didn't realize how good it was at the time and traded it in.  It was actually one of the lightest customs I've played, so they aren't all really heavy (though many of them are).  I also played a lot of them from selling guitars in the 70's.  They do vary a bit, but I like the neck shape and feel of them.  They had a few dogs, but you can find that from any maker and era.  The 20th anniversary models are probably the last with fretless wonder frets (anything before that has them in customs, unless it has been refretted).  Also you'll get T-Top pickups, which I think are great pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    The original.    I'd probably want to change the frets if they are flat but otherwise no content imo
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    I have an original 74 20th Anniversary and it’s a total beast in every respect. Has it since the early 80s and I’ve done more recording and gigs with that than anything. These days I prefer the SG - so much lighter but the 74 still gets played. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    The yellowed binding on the Custom shop ones looks like what it is, fake. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Thanks for the comments guys !
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 890
    My friend has 3 originals and they all sound great and I was surprised when I tried them that none of them were actually that heavy.
    I’ve not played a custom shop one so I can’t make a comparison, but there’s clearly a lot of good originals around that will hold their price 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I bought a new 1973 Les Paul Custom. (In 1973).
    On reflection, it was not a great guitar,  but it looked fantastic and I convinced myself that I would get used to the weight and the fretless wonder frets.
    I didn't get used to it and sold it to buy an early '68 Gold Top (crown inlay).

I cannot recall having a '74 Reissue in my hands so I will defer to the other comments. Other Historic Customs I have encountered have been pretty impressive and some were light enough for my taste.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14842
    tFB Trader
    John_P said:
    The original.    I'd probably want to change the frets if they are flat but otherwise no content imo
    I'd agree - Just had a similar job on a 72 LP Deluxe and totally transformed the guitar regarding the playability - Get the frets right and it somehow falls more into place
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 318
    Well '74 my birth year too! And on the occasions over the years when I have thought it might be nice to have a birth year guitar have to be honest and not found many that really appeal.

Now I don't think I have ever played an original 1974 Les Paul but I have played many dozens of Custom Shop LPs and I would definitely be happy with one of those. Here's a nice Custom in Aged Silverburst that caught my eye a while ago, if I was being picky I'd say i is missing an ebony board but I love the finish!

gibson-custom-historic-select-1974-les-paul-custom-vos-aged-silverburst-451168
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited July 2020
    I’d split the difference and buy a 1980’s Les Paul Custom. It’ll go up in value soon enough. Plus you won’t be so self conscious about gigging it. 

I’ve played the 74 reissue and it’s OK. But for the money it feels a tad overpriced. 
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    An original, every time for all the reasons above. Custom shops Gibson’s also use that horrid nitro that just doesn’t age like the old stuff. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    I saw this a few months ago & got an itch too for a Les Paul!  Don‘t tell me it got you as well?
    https://youtu.be/ZcDNjeBbgDY