Budget wireless systems

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
I have a Yamaha THR10 (original model).
I've made it bluetooth by plugging in a sub £15 TaoTronics adaptor from Amazon and it's perfect.

What's out there to make it wireless like the new THR models? This will be for home use only. The Line6 G10 system just costs too much to make it an add on, so what budget systems are out there and do they work? Someone on here mentioned the Xvive U2 system on another THR thread, a quick look on Amazon shows it at £115.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xvive-XU2RD-Wireless-Guitar-System/dp/B076HLH98X/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=55901263369&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0YD4BRD2ARIsAHwmKVnQ_hFS8fS67fAlXdl1W_KzGPUaZAAfAV3bwO9Y9Q_6NepPvu195UgaAmB9EALw_wcB&hvadid=259067373592&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007327&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13127290803791286301&hvtargid=kwd-299571468931&hydadcr=28879_1670716&keywords=xvive+u2&qid=1593879246&sr=8-3&tag=googhydr-21#customerReviews

But that then shows another similar device - Ammoon - at a wallet friendly £49.99! Loads of good reviews too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MCHF99P/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNEhGT1ZVV1cxMTUyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODM3MzIzMko3UVZKVDg4V01CUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjI1MjQxMkFCUlZUOUZKTFRBQiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbDImYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Are these cheap options a waste of time?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    I have one of those ammoon/Harley Benton/ eBay wireless systems. I use it as a back up to my two boss systems. 
    I’ve used it loads, live, rehearsals, home - it’s never skipped a beat
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    AKG WMS Mini. Costs peanuts, a single regular AA battery lasts ages in the TX, and It Just Works.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    Boss WL20 works great, small and rechargeable. I've used one at home and for gigs and it works great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    See, I haven't heard of any of those! Gonna check them out.
    Seems to be a few comments about home wifi interfering with these systems, as they are both using 2.4Ghz
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    Don't skimp, get a Smooth Hound.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Have you got one, Jon?
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 688
    I started with a smooth hound set up, but it wasn't quite faff-free enough for my needs. Taking out the rechargeable batteries and putting them in a charger irritated me. The Xvive units have micro usb sockets and charge up quickly, like a mobile phone.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2427
    I had the Xvive and found the on/off switch broke so got a smooth hound.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    DiscoStu said:
    Have you got one, Jon?
    I have, Stu. They are well worth the money and I don't see any faffing with them really, although I don't use rechargeable batteries like @BluesLover above. I used to get easily two gigs out of Duracel batteries, could have pushed it to 3 gigs I'm sure.

You can plug the "Fob" straight in or you can get the adaptor that allows you to wear it as a body pack. If you are plugging straight in, the sticky pad will eventually lose it's stickiness, but that only matters on Guitars with side mounted output Jacks (L.P, Teles etc.

The guy may send you more sticky pads if you ask him. Just check the website, tons of details on there.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    You'll find alot of smooth hound love on the forum :) 
    I much prefer it to the line6 g30 .

You can get them second hand on here for a decent price. 
    Never heard of Smooth Hound before today 
    edited July 2020
    Ok, I've looked up Smooth Hound but they're out of stock and £150. £150 isn't budget to me, I'm looking at sub £100 options.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I had smoothound for a while,  I thought it was a great idea and the owner was very helpful but for gigs the lack of a pack and faffing with a calbe joiner ws no good and it could be a pain to sync the receiver and transmitted (very rarely needed though).
    Out of the low cost units I keep coming back to the L6 g30 that just works.

However for home use to work with a thr I would want to avoid needing a seperate power supply and receiver that has to sit somewhere.  I might not trust the xvive type units at a gig but with the thr they look more practical.   
    That ammoon for £35 looks great - just ordered one in fact!  
    John_P said:
    I had smoothound for a while,  I thought it was a great idea and the owner was very helpful but for gigs the lack of a pack and faffing with a calbe joiner ws no good and it could be a pain to sync the receiver and transmitted (very rarely needed though).
    Out of the low cost units I keep coming back to the L6 g30 that just works.

However for home use to work with a thr I would want to avoid needing a seperate power supply and receiver that has to sit somewhere.  I might not trust the xvive type units at a gig but with the thr they look more practical.   
    That ammoon for £35 looks great - just ordered one in fact!  
    Gotta say, I'm tempted! My amp sits inside my TV unit and I have to take it out to get a guitar cable plugged in the top. The Ammoon and Xvive type kits would let me leave it where it is.
    Right. Ordered the Ammoon 5.8Ghz kit from Amazon. There was an 8% discount deal on it so got it for £45.99, it's arriving Tuesday.
    I don't like how it looks but I like the sound of how it works.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2958
    following:   full review needed once you have had chance to have a good look at it

It's here! I posted a quick review here
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/185178/nwsd#latest

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2492
    I've got one of those cheap Ammoon ones (branded Lekato) for use round the house and it's perfectly good for that. One of my kids has the even cheaper 2.4GHz version and there is hint of compression and treble loss with that one but the 5GHz one I have seems fine. For me the best thing about it is the receiver doesn't require a power supply so I can very easily switch it from amp to amp. Charging via micro USB is also a bonus. If it broke tomorrow I'd get another one.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.