Should I try a Bigsby on my Les Paul Traditional

What's Hot
mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
edited July 2020 in Guitar
Have spent the past week watching Bowie concerts on YouTube and have decided Earl Slick may be the coolest guitar slinger in the west. Keep trying to fool myself that my Trad is like an R9 - but it isn’t, so I need to be less precious about it. 
Slick got some cool tones from his Bigsby loaded LP and it’s got me thinking about putting one on mine. 
Are they a massive faff? Does it mess up tuning? Does it alter the core tone significantly? Can I still play some grunge and GnR stuff, or will Slash be terribly disappointed?
Any advice from people who’ve done this would be much appreciated. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5521
    Try it out with a Vibramate first - no drilling required, and if you love it you can have it installed permanently later on which is a slightly better solution in the long run for a number of reasons that others will be able to detail better than me right now. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    No.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Whitecat said:
    Try it out with a Vibramate first - no drilling required, and if you love it you can have it installed permanently later on which is a slightly better solution in the long run for a number of reasons that others will be able to detail better than me right now. :)
    That is stonkingly helpful. Hadn’t heard of that system before. Thanks!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4076
    I like a Bigsby on a Les Paul. I didn’t have any issues, I had graphite on the nut and saddles, and used it like a Bigsby was intended.

As Whitecat said you can try with a Vibramate. There’s also the Towner system, where you’d use a B3 with their tension bar, or you could try a Duesenberg Les Trem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers! oh dear - rabbit hole beckons 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1343
    no....no....and.....no
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Is it pink?
    Nearly. Lightburst - and some of plastic has a flesh coloured hue at times 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    Bigsbys are for goldtops, get one of them 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2000
    I'd suggest getting a Gretsch with a Bigsby before demolishing and devaluing your Gib. They aren't that great when it comes to tuning stability and they can make some funny noises too. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    I had one fitted to my custom and I bloody love it. This is my fourth guitar with a Bigsby tho so I was sure I wanted it and that I'd use it. Maybe get a used electromatic and figure out if you like them first

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8156
    Always ‘Yes’ to a Bigsby.  
    Are they a massive faff? Does it mess up tuning? Does it alter the core tone significantly? Can I still play some grunge and GnR stuff, or will Slash be terribly disappointed?

They're not a faff. Tuning depends on the nut and the break angle over the bridge. The LP/B7 angle is steep so I have tuning issues if I go down more than say a minor third, but it's stable other than that. I don't have any issues at all on my SG or 335. I play heavy styles with em it's fine

• They are ugly and push you into recidivist realms. Don't do it. You'll be harming your eternal soul.

Bye!

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8156
    roberty said:

They're not a faff. Tuning depends on the nut and the break angle over the bridge. The LP/B7 angle is steep so I have tuning issues if I go down more than say a minor third, but it's stable other than that. I don't have any issues at all on my SG or 335. I play heavy styles with em it's fine

90% of Bigsby tuning issues is nut related. But, as you said, the break angle is also an issue, particularly on a tension bar model such as the B7/B70. 

This can be corrected with an easy to fit aftermarket modification ;)

Once a Bigsby has been setup nicely, they’re joyous things to use.  
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31979
    I love Bigsbys but they do interfere with volume pot access a fair bit if that's an issue for you. 
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 277
    I like a Bigsby on a Les Paul. I didn’t have any issues, I had graphite on the nut and saddles, and used it like a Bigsby was intended.

As Whitecat said you can try with a Vibramate. There’s also the Towner system, where you’d use a B3 with their tension bar, or you could try a Duesenberg Les Trem.
    p90fool said:
    I love Bigsbys but they do interfere with volume pot access a fair bit if that's an issue for you. 
    I've tried vibramate and B7, cramped the controls as @p90fool says and stability wasn't great with the original ABR or a roller bridge. Les Trem worked well but the knurled knob the arm attaches into was too close to the bridge and got in the way when palm muting.

Now my classic has the Towner system and domed thumbwheels under the original bridge, works great and controls are accessible. The only problem I had was with the raw plug (spl) holding the strap pin in which needed additional cocktail sticks to take the strain.
    TheMarlin said:
    roberty said:

90% of Bigsby tuning issues is nut related. But, as you said, the break angle is also an issue, particularly on a tension bar model such as the B7/B70. 

This can be corrected with an easy to fit aftermarket modification ;)

Once a Bigsby has been setup nicely, they’re joyous things to use.  
    Ha, true! I am waiting for crazyparts to get the gold domed thumbwheels back in stock - will give them a go first as less invasive

I suffer from phantom Bigsby now when I play a guitar without one
    Hmm - sounds like definitely better to try one before cocking up my guitar due to GAS. Cheers all
    mattdavis said:
    Hmm - sounds like definitely better to try one before cocking up my guitar due to GAS. Cheers all
    I think that's the right way about it mate. They're not for everyone